Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Oregon

>

Estacada vicinity

>

Cazadero Powerhouse & Bridge, Faraday Road, Estacada, Clackamas County, OR



Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Faraday Road, Estacada vicinity, OR

Find maps of Estacada, OR


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER OR-143
Building/structure dates: 1907 initial construction
Significance: The Cazadero Powerhouse and Bridge are significant for their association with the early development of hydroelectric power generation for the City of Portland and the surrounding areas. Construction of the dam for this hydroelectric project was begun in 1902 by the Oregon Water Power and Railway Company, followed by the construction of the bridge over the Clackamas River and the powerhouse below Faraday Lake. The bridge originally served as a railroad bridge to transport workers and materials to the powerhouse site, and was converted to a vehicular bridge following the completion of the powerhouse in February of 1907, when the first three generators were placed in service. The bridge is a steel deck arch with a pin connected center hinge and a wooden road deck, a rare type in the Oregon context of steel bridges. The powerhouse is a five unit plant as originally designed, and all five generators were operational by August of 1910. The powerhouse originally supplied power to the electric railway running between the plant and the Sellwood area of Portland as well as domestic and commercial consumers. The plant currently provides power only to consumers, as the electric railway has been abandoned. The Oregon Water Power and Railway Company was acquired by Portland General Electric in 1906, and the powerhouse retains its original function as a hydroelectric facility under the ownership of Portland General Electric.

Subjects
Hydroelectric Power Plants
Vehicular Bridges


Related Names
Brown, George I.


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
TOPOGRAPHIC VIEW OF THE CAZADERO DAM, VIEW LOOKING WEST FROM THE DECK OF THE BRIDGE.
GENERAL PERSPECTIVE VIEW OF CAZADERO BRIDGE, VIEW LOOKING SOUTH.
GENERAL PERSPECTIVE VIEW OF CAZADERO BRIDGE, VIEW LOOKING SOUTH ON WEST SIDE OF BRIDGE.
GENERAL PERSPECTIVE VIEW OF CAZADERO BRIDGE, VIEW LOOKING SOUTH ON EAST SIDE OF BRIDGE.
APPROACH VIEW OF THE CAZADERO BRIDGE, VIEW LOOKING SOUTH.
ELEVATION VIEW OF CAZADERO BRIDGE, VIEW LOOKING SOUTH.
GENERAL PERSPECTIVE VIEW OF THE CAZADERO DAM AND GENERATOR BUILDING, VIEW LOOKING SOUTH.
PERSPECTIVE VIEW OF THE CAZADERO DAM AND GENERATOR BUILDING, VIEW LOOKING NORTHEAST.
GENERAL VIEW OF SUBSTATION AND GENERATOR BUILDING, VIEW LOOKING WEST.
EXTERIOR DETAIL VIEW OF THE GENERATOR BUILDING AND FLUMES, VIEW LOOKING EAST.
INTERIOR DETAIL VIEW OF GENERATOR BUILDING AND EQUIPMENT, VIEW LOOKING WEST.
INTERIOR DETAIL VIEW OF GENERATOR EQUIPMENT, VIEW LOOKING NORTHWEST.
GENERAL PERSPECTIVE VIEW OF FARADAY LAKE DAM ABOVE POWERHOUSE, VIEW LOOKING SOUTHEAST.


Back to Estacada vicinity, Oregon