Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home > Oregon > Dayville vicinity > Cant Ranch, East side of State Route 19, North of U.S. 26, Dayville, Grant County, OR



See 17 maps of this location


B&W Photos
James Cant Ranch, View From Ne Showing House, Log Cabin And Feed Storage Shed
HB994029
James Cant Ranch, View From Ne Showing House, Log Cabin And Feed Storage Shed
James Cant Ranch, View From Se Showing House, Log Cabin And Bunkhouse
HB994030
James Cant Ranch, View From Se Showing House, Log Cabin And Bunkhouse
James Cant Ranch, View From Nw Showing Feed Storage Shed And Chicken Coop (in Foreground), Barn, And Watchman
HB994031
James Cant Ranch, View From Nw Showing Feed Storage Shed And Chicken Coop (in Foreground), Barn, And Watchman's Hut


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
North of U.S. 26, Dayville vicinity, OR

Find maps of Dayville, OR


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS OR-142
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-19).
Building/structure dates: 1881
Building/structure dates: 1918 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1920 subsequent work
National Register Number: 84003000
Significance: The James Cant Ranch is significant on a local level for its association with exploration/settlement and agriculture. The Cant Ranch has been a local landmark in the John Day River Valley of Eastern Oregon since the construction of its imposing main house was completed circa 1918. Nestled below Sheep Rock along the John Day River just north of Picture Gorge, the ranch is one of the most intact remaining examples of early 20th century ranching operations in the valley. The land was first homesteaded by Floyd Officer, a member of one of the first families to settle in the John Day River Valley. After purchasing land, the Cant family used Officer's cabin, which still stands today. The Sheep Rock Unit of John Day Fossil Beds National Monument, in which the ranch is located, incorporates the initial 357 acres purchased from Officer by James Cant, St., in 1910. In addition to the main house, the ranch complex includes the barn, sheepshearing stalls (among the best preserved of their type still known to exist in the region), watchman's hut, bunkhouse, and six other outbuildings. James Cant, Sr., a Scottish immigrant, became one of the more prominent ranchers in the valley. The ranch remained in the Cant family until it was purchased by the National Park Service in 1975, three years after Cant's death at age 92. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in June 21, 1984.

Subjects
Ranches


Related Names
Officer, Floyd
Cant, James
Mason, Johnny
Murray, Alexander
Grant, Elizabeth


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. James Cant Ranch, view from NE showing House, Log Cabin and Feed Storage Shed
2. James Cant Ranch, view from SE showing House, Log Cabin and Bunkhouse
3. James Cant Ranch, view from NW showing Feed Storage Shed and Chicken Coop (in foreground), Barn, and Watchman's Hut


Back to Dayville vicinity, Oregon