Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Oklahoma

>

Tahlequah

>

Cherokee National Capitol Building, 101-29 South Muskogee Avenue, Tahlequah, Cherokee County, OK



See 17 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB985520

HB985521

HB985522

HB985523

HB985524

HB985525

HB985526

HB985527


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title
Cherokee National Capitol Building, 101-29 South Muskogee Avenue, Tahlequah, Cherokee County, OK

Location
101-29 South Muskogee Avenue, Tahlequah, OK

Find maps of Tahlequah, OK


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS OK-24
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-26).
Building/structure dates: 1867 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1880 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1886 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1904 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1928 subsequent work
National Register Number: 66000627
Significance: The Cherokee National Capitol, completed and occupied by circa 1869, was constructed on the site which had served as the meeting place for the Cherokee Government since their arrival in Indian Territory in 1839. Built to replace its wooden predecessor (which had burned during the Civil War), it housed the Cherokee Supreme Court as well as the Cherokee legislature, which convened there for the longest unbroken period of time in its history. With statehood in 1907, the National Council lost its power as a lawmaker, and the building soon became the property of Cherokee County. It has served as the County Courthouse ever since. Its Italianate appearance reflects the apparent time lag of popular architectural styles from East to West.

Subjects
Fires
Indians Of North America
Brick Buildings


Related Names
Goodlander, C. W.
Marsh, J. C.
Smalling, Walter, Photographer
Hnedak, John D., Historian
Grashof, Bethanie C., Delineator
Higgins, Vicki J., Delineator
Holmes, Nicholas H., Delineator
Swayze, Roger D., Delineator
McCown, Susan, Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. GENERAL VIEW OF BUILDING WITH BANDSTAND IN FOREGROUND, FROM SOUTHWEST
2. GENERAL VIEW OF FRONT ELEVATION WITH OBELISK MONUMENT IN FOREGROUND, FROM WEST
3. WEST (FRONT) ELEVATION
4. WEST AND SOUTH ELEVATIONS
5. NORTH ELEVATION
6. GROUND FLOOR, LOOKING WEST
7. HALLWAY LOOKING EAST, SECOND FLOOR
8. PHOTOCOPY OF EARLY PHOTO OF THE BUILDING WITH ITS ORIGINAL FEATURES, n.d. From National Archives, Bureau of Indian Affairs, photo No. 75-1P-2-37, Washington, D.C.


Back to Tahlequah, Oklahoma