Wilson's Oil House, Lard Refinery, & Edible Fats Factory, 2801 Southwest Fifteenth Street, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma County, OK
2801 Southwest Fifteenth Street, Oklahoma City, OK
Find maps of Oklahoma City, OK
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER OK-4
Building/structure dates: 1911 initial construction
Significance: The Wilson Oil House, Lard Refinery, and Edible Fats Factory are historically significant to Oklahoma City and the state for one primary reason -- they are the last remaining remnants of the packing plant complex originally built in Oklahoma City in 1910 and 1911. In terms of commerce and trade, that complex made Oklahoma City a major meat packing center of the nation. And until Tinker Air Force Base was completed during WWII, the packing plants were the single largest employers in the state, adding considerable fuel to the engines of industry. Today, the Wilson's Oil House, Lard Refinery, and Edible Fats Factory are all that remain of that original complex.
Wilson's Food Corporation
Schwartzchild & Sulzberger
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
Back to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma