Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Ohio

>

Sandusky

>

Ohio Soldiers' & Sailors' Home, U.S. Route 250 at DeWitt Avenue, Sandusky, Erie County, OH



See 25 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB976544

HB976545

HB976546

HB976547

HB976548

HB976549

HB976550

HB976551

HB976552

HB976553

HB976554

HB976555

HB976556

HB976557


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
U.S. Route 250 at DeWitt Avenue, Sandusky, OH

Find maps of Sandusky, OH


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS OH-2360
Significance: The Ohio Veterans' Home was established in 1886 as the Ohio Soldiers' and Sailors' Home, the result of efforts by the Grand Army of the Republic to ensure state care for sick and destitute Ohio Civil War veterans. The Home opened in November, 1888 with 17 residents. During its peak years it had over 2,000 residents, and since its opening it has served over 55,000 Ohio veterans from all major U.S. conflicts. The name was changed to Ohio Veterans' Home in 1979. Current population is about 550. The Home is the legacy of Ohio's movement in the 19th century to establish state-supported institutions to aid the handicapped, the ill and the destitute. The site of the Home, which is generally flat, was designed by Herman Haerline of Cincinnati. The plan he developed created a park-like atmosphere with extensive open space, the principle buildings located along curvilinear roads and paths, rather than being arranged in a grid or a formal pattern.

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. VIEW EAST, COTTAGE 'L', MESS HALL, NEW POWERHOUSE, COTTAGE 'H'
2. VIEW EAST, MESS HALL, COTTAGE 'G', BOILER HOUSE, NEW POWERHOUSE, COTTAGE 'H'
3. VIEW NORTH, COTTAGE 'M', COTTAGE 'N', MESS HALL, ADMINISTRATION BUILDING, COTTAGE 'H'
4. VIEW EAST, ADMINISTRATION BUILDING, COTTAGE 'N', COTTAGE 'M' COTTAGE 'L'
5. VIEW NORTHEAST, LIBRARY, COTTAGE 'L'
6. VIEW NORTHEAST, FROM LEFT TO RIGHT, COTTAGE 'L', COTTAGE 'M', COTTAGE 'N', ADMINISTRATION BUILDING, MESS HALL
7. VIEW NORTH, FROM LEFT TO RIGHT, COTTAGE 'L', COTTAGE 'M', COTTAGE 'N', ADMINISTRATION BUILDING, MESS HALL
8. VIEW WEST FROM MESS HALL, COTTAGE 'L', COTTAGE 'M'
9. VIEW NORTHEAST, LIBRARY, COTTAGE 'L'
10. Photocopy of photograph (from Carl A. Spier's Souvenir Book of Views, The Ohio Soldiers' and Sailors' Home, Sandusky, Ohio, (Sandusky, Ohio: Alvord & Peters Co.), n. d.) PANORAMA VIEW LOOKING SOUTHEAST
11. Photocopy of engraving (from A. Witteman's Ohio Soldiers' and Sailors' Home Near Sandusky, (New York: The Albertype Co.), 1894) VIEW SOUTH, FROM LEFT TO RIGHT, COTTAGE 'H', COTTAGE 'I', COTTAGE 'K', ASSEMBLY HALL, COTTAGE 'L', COTTAGE 'M', COTTAGE 'N'
12. Photocopy of engraving (from A. Witteman's Ohio Soldiers' and Sailors' Home Near Sandusky, (New York: The Albertype Co.), 1894) VIEW SOUTH, FROM LEFT TO RIGHT, COTTAGE 'A', ORIGINAL MESS HALL, ADMINISTRATION BUILDING, COTTAGE 'N', COTTAGE 'M', COTTAGE 'L', OLD HOSPITAL, LIBRARY
13. Photocopy of engraving (from A. Witteman's Ohio Soldiers' and Sailors' Home Near Sandusky, (New York: The Albertype Co.), 1894) VIEW SOUTH, COTTAGE 'N', COTTAGE 'M', COTTAGE 'L', LIBRARY
14. Photocopy of photograph (from Carl A. Spier's Souvenir Book of Views, The Ohio Soldiers' and Sailors' Home, Sandusky, Ohio, (Sandusky, Ohio: Alvord & Peters Co.), n.d.) FIRST FLOOR, DAY ROOM OF TYPICAL COTTAGE


Back to Sandusky, Ohio