Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Ohio

>

Sandusky

>

Ohio Soldiers' & Sailors' Home, Cottage H, U.S. Route 250 at DeWitt Avenue, Sandusky, Erie County, OH



See 25 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB976578
View East, Northwest Front & Southwest Side

HB976579
View Northeast, Northwest Front & Southwest Side

HB976580
View North, Southwest & Southeast Sides

HB976581
View Northwest, Southeast Side

HB976582
View Southwest, Northeast Side

HB976583
First Floor, Corridor, Looking East

HB976584
First Floor, Day Room, Fire Place Detail

HB976585
Second Floor, Northwest Dorm, Looking West

HB976586
Second Floor, Northwest Dorm, Looking Northeast To Northeast Dorm

HB976587
Second Floor, Restroom, Looking Southwest

HB976588
Photocopy Of Photograph (from Carl A

HB976589
Photocopy Of Engraving (from A


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
U.S. Route 250 at DeWitt Avenue, Sandusky, OH

Find maps of Sandusky, OH


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS OH-2360-B
Significance: The Ohio Veterans' Home was established in 1886 as the Ohio Soldiers' and Sailors' Home, the result of efforts by the Grand Army of the Republic to ensure state care for sick and destitute Ohio Civil War veterans. The Home opened in November, 1888 with 17 residents. During its peak years it had over 2,000 residents, and since its opening it has served over 55,000 Ohio veterans from all major U.S. conflicts. The name was changed to Ohio Veterans' Home in 1979. Current population is about 550. The Home is the legacy of Ohio's movement in the 19th century to establish state-supported institutions to aid the handicapped, the ill and the destitute. Cottage H is one of 16 cottages eventually built at the Home. The cottages housed residents in dormitory rooms with a capacity of seven to a room, seven rooms to a cottage. The Home's eastern portion is dominated by the cottages, most of which were arranged in a ring around the dining hall. Cottage H is currently vacant.

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. VIEW EAST, NORTHWEST FRONT & SOUTHWEST SIDE
2. VIEW NORTHEAST, NORTHWEST FRONT & SOUTHWEST SIDE
3. VIEW NORTH, SOUTHWEST & SOUTHEAST SIDES
4. VIEW NORTHWEST, SOUTHEAST SIDE
5. VIEW SOUTHWEST, NORTHEAST SIDE
6. FIRST FLOOR, CORRIDOR, LOOKING EAST
7. FIRST FLOOR, DAY ROOM, FIRE PLACE DETAIL
8. SECOND FLOOR, NORTHWEST DORM, LOOKING WEST
9. SECOND FLOOR, NORTHWEST DORM, LOOKING NORTHEAST TO NORTHEAST DORM
10. SECOND FLOOR, RESTROOM, LOOKING SOUTHWEST
11. Photocopy of photograph (from Carl A. Spier's Souvenir Book of Views, The Ohio Soldiers' and Sailors' Home, Sandusky, Ohio, (Sandusky, Ohio: Alvord & Peters Co.), n.d.) VIEW SOUTHEAST, NORTHWEST FRONT
12. Photocopy of engraving (from A. Witteman's Ohio Soldiers' and Sailors' Home Near Sandusky, (New York: The Albertype Co.), 1894) VIEW EAST, NORTHWEST FRONT


Back to Sandusky, Ohio