Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Ohio

>

Sandusky

>

Ohio Soldiers' & Sailors' Home, Boilerhouse, U.S. Route 250 at DeWitt Avenue, Sandusky, Erie County, OH



B&W Photos

HB972793

HB972794

HB972795

HB972796

HB972797

HB972798

HB972799

HB972800

HB972801

HB972802

HB972803

HB972804

HB972805

HB972806

HB972807

HB972808


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
U.S. Route 250 at DeWitt Avenue, Sandusky, OH

Find maps of Sandusky, OH


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS OH-2360-A
Significance: The Ohio Veterans' Home was established in 1886 as the Ohio Soldiers' and Sailors' Home, the result of efforts by the Grand Army of the Republic to ensure state care for sick and destitute Ohio Civil War veterans. The Home opened in November, 1888 with 17 residents. During its peak years it had over 2,000 residents, and since its opening it has served over 55,000 Ohio veterans from all major U.S. conflicts. The name was changed to Ohio Veterans' Home in 1979. Current population is about 550. The Home is the legacy of Ohio's movement in the 19th century to establish state-supported institutions to aid the handicapped, the ill and the destitute. The Boiler House was an original building at the Home, completed in 1888. Its function was to supply heating steam, electric light, and domestic hot water for the entire Home. It still provides steam and hot water today.

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. VIEW SOUTHEAST, NORTHWEST FRONT
2. VIEW SOUTHEAST, NORTHWEST FRONT & SOUTHWEST SIDE
3. VIEW EAST, NORTHWEST FRONT & SOUTHWEST SIDE, NEW POWERHOUSE TO RIGHT
4. VIEW NORTH, SOUTHEAST & SOUTHWEST SIDES
5. VIEW NORTHEAST, SOUTHEAST & SOUTHWEST SIDES
6. VIEW NORTHWEST, SOUTHEAST & NORTHEAST SIDES
7. VIEW SOUTHWEST, NORTHEAST SIDE
8. VIEW SOUTH, NORTHEAST & NORTHWEST SIDES
9. VIEW SOUTH, NORTHEAST & NORTHWEST SIDES
10. NORTHWEST ROOM, LOOKING SOUTHEAST, DOMESTIC HOT WATER TANKS
11. NORTHWEST ROOM, LOOKING SOUTH, FEED WATER PUMPS
12. SOUTHEAST ROOM, LOOKING NORTHWEST, GAS FIRED BOILER (FOREGROUND) AND COAL FIRED BOILERS
13. SOUTHEAST ROOM, LOOKING SOUTH FROM CATWALK, COAL SUPPLY & COAL FEED
14. TUNNEL ACCESS, LOOKING NORTHWEST, STEAM & WATER PIPES
15. Photocopy of engraving (from A. Witteman's Ohio Soldiers' and Sailors Home Near Sandusky, (New York: The Albertype Co.), 1894) VIEW EAST, NORTHWEST FRONT & SOUTHWEST SIDE
16. Photocopy of photograph (from Carl A. Spier's Souvenir Book of Views, The Ohio Soldiers' and Sailors' Home, Sandusky, Ohio, (Sandusky, Ohio: Alvord & Peters Co.), n.d.) LOCATION UNKNOWN


Back to Sandusky, Ohio