Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Ohio

>

Mount Gilead

>

Whetstone Creek Bridge, Township Road 127 spanning Whetstone Creek, Mount Gilead, Morrow County, OH



B&W Photos


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Color Transparencies


Item Title


Location
Township Road 127 spanning Whetstone Creek, Mount Gilead, OH

Find maps of Mount Gilead, OH


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER OH-90
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N40).
Building/structure dates: 1879 initial construction
Significance: The Whetstone Creek Bridge may be the only surviving example of a tubular bowstring based on the patent of William Laird of Canton, Ohio. It was built in 1879 by the Wrought Iron Bridge Company, one of America's largest and most important bridge companies in the late 19th century.

Subjects
Vehicular Bridges


Related Names
Wrought Iron Bridge Company
Laird, William


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Mount Gilead, Ohio