Department of Energy, Mound Facility, Research Building (R Building), One Mound Road, Miamisburg, Montgomery County, OH
See 20 maps of this location
One Mound Road, Miamisburg, OH
Find maps of Miamisburg, OH
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS OH-2470-M
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N1099).
Building/structure dates: 1947 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1959 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1974 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 2004 demolished
Significance: Mound’s R “Research” Building is significant for its operational role in the polonium processing mission of Mound Laboratory during the late 1940s and early 1950s. Radioactive polonium had importance to the nation during that time for its use in nuclear weapons manufacture and atomic energy. During the polonium processing era, R Building was designed for chemical and physical research on alpha emitters. These studies were part of a program to provide polonium research and for production improvement. The building contains facilities for basic and fundamental research in nuclear energy and subsequent chemical problems.
Nuclear Weapons Industry
U.S. Department Of Energy
U.S. Atomic Energy Commission
Monsato Chemical Company
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Miamisburg, Ohio