Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Ohio

>

Miamisburg

>

Department of Energy, Mound Facility, Electronics Laboratory Building (E Building), One Mound Road, Miamisburg, Montgomery County, OH



See 20 maps of this location


Item Title
Department of Energy, Mound Facility, Electronics Laboratory Building (E Building), One Mound Road, Miamisburg, Montgomery County, OH

Location
One Mound Road, Miamisburg, OH

Find maps of Miamisburg, OH


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS OH-2470-D
Building/structure dates: 1947 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1956 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1966 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 2000 demolished
Significance: E Building is significant for its operational role in the polonium processing mission of the Mound Laboratory, polonium having importance in the 1940s for its use in nuclear weapon manufacture and atomic energy. As the building changed form and use throughout the Mound Site’s history, it reflects the different phases of activity in its physical structure. During the polonium processing era, the building was involved directly with processing as well as offered operational support to the Mound Laboratory. E Building provided efficient facilities for the repair, design, and assemblage of electronic instruments and contained radiation count laboratories equipped with electronic instrumentation to measure radiation activity levels in samples collected from Mound Laboratory.

Subjects
Nuclear Weapons Industry
Testing Laboratories
Nuclear Power


Related Names
U.S. Department Of Energy
U.S Atomic Commission
Monsato Chemical Company


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
View looking southeast from the roof of OSW Building, toward E Building (center ground of image). Part of H Building is in the immediate foreground. This photograph shows the relationship between E Building and others adjacent to it as well as some of the panorama of the site
This image, looking due south shows the central part of the north wing of the building, a 2 story facade. In the foreground are several utility chases which span this elevation of the building
Looking southwest, this photograph demonstrates the northeast corner of E Building, with a glimpse of part of the east entrance
An image, looking southeast down the passage between E Building and M Building immediately to the east. The east entrance and the south wing of the building are visible
A view looking northwest toward the southeast corner of the building. Just to the right of the corner is an indication of scale - an extended surveyor's rod
This image, looking due north, demonstrates the south side of the building
Looking southeast, this photograph shows the length of the north elevation of E Building
A compilation of chase work characterizes this image, looking south, in the niche which slightly separates E Building form R Building, on the north side
This photograph, taken from the main roof of E Building, looking north, shows two metal penthouses at right, a similar brick structure and some of the vents and other mechanical devices of the building
A similar shot to the previous image, this photograph, looking northwest, provides a closer image of the brick penthouse and other devices
Looking west, this interior photograph, taken in the second floor of E Building, demonstrates one of the typical corridors of the structure
A corridor on the first floor of the building, looking west, shows some of the typical interior finishes in this section. At the end of the hallway, the corridor turns right after entering the next adjacent structure
This image, looking south, shows a typical corridor in the laboratory area of the building, where numerous pipes were required to carry the various utilities needed for procedure and safety equipment
This photograph, looking southwest in Room 107, demonstrates some of the laboratory equipment and facilities which have been recently used in E Building
An image, looking east into Room 112A, filled with technical equipment pertinent to the building's recent use
One wall of the original E Building is visible in the back of this image, looking west in Room 142, a typical laboratory space


Back to Miamisburg, Ohio