Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Ohio

>

Miamisburg

>

Department of Energy, Mound Facility, B Building, One Mound Road, Miamisburg, Montgomery County, OH



See 20 maps of this location


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
One Mound Road, Miamisburg, OH

Find maps of Miamisburg, OH


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS OH-2470-B
Building/structure dates: 1947 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1956 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1967 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1970 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1998 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 2001 demolished
Significance: Mound’s B “Biology” Building is significant for its operational role in the polonium processing mission of Mound Laboratory during the late 1940s and early 1950s. Radioactive polonium had importance to the nation during that time for its use in nuclear weapon manufacture and atomic energy. During the polonium processing era, B Building served to conduct acute and chronic studies of the effects of radioactive isotopes on animals. These studies were part of a program to insure the safety and good health of Mound Laboratory personnel.

Subjects
Animal Experimentation
Nuclear Weapons Industry
Testing Laboratories


Related Names
U.S. Department Of Energy
U.S. Atomic Energy Commission
Monsato Chemical Company


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
EXTERIOR, A view from above looking southwest toward a penthouse of the roof of B Building
EXTERIOR, A view from above looking southwest toward the roof and stacks of B Building with I Building in the background
EXTERIOR, A view looking southwest at the east side of the building
EXTERIOR, A view looking northwest at the east side of the building
EXTERIOR, A view looking northeast toward the south side of the building including the diesel fuel tank and bottom portion of a stack
EXTERIOR, A view looking west between the south side of the building and a stack which is located in the courtyard
EXTERIOR, A view looking east that captures the southwest corner of the building with surveyor's rod to indicate scale
EXTERIOR, A view looking northeast at the west side of the building
EXTERIOR, A view looking south toward the northwest corner of the building including an exterior staircase that leads to the roof
INTERIOR, FIRST FLOOR, A view looking north along the west corridor. Rooms 179 and 180 are beyond to the north
INTERIOR, FIRST FLOOR, A view looking southeast toward various processing machines in Room 105
INTERIOR, FIRST FLOOR, A view looking southeast down the breeze way that connects B Building to H Building
INTERIOR, FIRST FLOOR, A view looking east into the animal cooling area (Rooms 128 and 129)
INTERIOR, FIRST FLOOR, A view from the northeast corner of Room 122 looking west at the small parts room
INTERIOR, FIRST FLOOR, A view looking east down the northern corridor (Room 134). An airlock is at the far end
INTERIOR, FIRST FLOOR, A view looking southeast at the X-ray unit in Room 136
INTERIOR, FIRST FLOOR, A view from the east side of Room 164 looking west toward two rows of work stations
INTERIOR, FIRST FLOOR, A view looking toward the north wall of Room 164, showing the intricate mechanical systems which supported the operation
INTERIOR, ROOF, A view looking southeast into a penthouse (Room 207P), revealing the building's mechanical apparatus
INTERIOR, ROOF, A view looking southwest through Room 205 at the doorway that leads to Room 206P, a shower and clean area in the penthouse
EXTERIOR, ROOF, A view looking southeast from the roof toward a low wall and the west facade of a penthouse with two stacks located in the southern courtyard
EXTERIOR, ROOF, A photograph looking north/northwest toward penthouse 210P with portions of the parapet which outline the roof of the original building in the left foreground. Also pictured is the short metal set of stairs that carries over the north boundary of the old parapet


Back to Miamisburg, Ohio