St. Christopher's-By-The-River, Old Mill Road, Gates Mills, Cuyahoga County, OH
See 25 maps of this location
Old Mill Road, Gates Mills, OH
Find maps of Gates Mills, OH
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS OH-212
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-71).
Building/structure dates: 1853 initial construction
Significance: The land on which the church was built was donated by Hosley Gates on October 14, 1858. IT was named the Gates Mills Methodist Episcopal Church and started with 12 members. By 1926 the village had changed from a farming community to a suburban community. Due to the large loss of membership the property was taken over by the Episcopal Church. On February 5, 1987, the church was officially named St. Christopher-by-the-River. In 1928, 1954, and 1965 additions and alterations were made to the church in the style of the original building. The church is a landmark in the village and possesses architectural and historic interest.
Walker, F. R.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. Historic American Buildings Survey, Carl Waite, Photographer June 10, 1936 SOUTH ELEVATION (COPY MADE FROM OLD PHOTO).
2. Historic American Buildings Survey, Carl Waite, Photographer June 10, 1936 SOUTH ELEVATION.
3. Historic American Buildings Survey, Carl Waite, Photographer June 10, 1936 DETAIL OF MAIN ENTRANCE (SOUTH ELEVATION).
Back to Gates Mills, Ohio