White Company, East Seventy-ninth Street & Saint Clair Avenue, Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, OH
Photo Caption Pages
East Seventy-ninth Street & Saint Clair Avenue, Cleveland, OH
Find maps of Cleveland, OH
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER OH-11-C
Building/structure dates: 1866 initial construction
Significance: One of the nation's largest producers of steam automobiles; its plant one of the most modern in the world at the time. One of the few survivors of Cleveland's auto industry in the earliest stages.
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. Copy of mid-20th century photograph, aerial view, looking west. Photo owned by the White Motor Corporation.
2. Copy of original working drawing showing elevation and section. Original drawing owned by White Motor Corporation.
3. Copy of drawing showing section and elevation of craneway. Drawing owned by White Motor Corporation.
4. Copy of early 20th century photograph showing interior view of axle department and machine room. Photo owned by the Cleveland Press.
5. Copy of early 20th century photo showing assembly department, interior view. Photo owned by Cleveland Press.
6. Copy of mid-20th century photo showing aerial view, looking south. Photo owned by Cleveland Press.
7. Copy of original working drawing showing elevations of St. Clair Avenue facade. Drawing owned by White Motor Corporation.
8. Photocopy of original working drawing showing facade of St. Clair Avenue. Drawing owned by White Motor Corporation.
9. Copy of original drawing showing plan, elevations, and details of Storage Building. Drawing owned by White Motor Corporation.
10. Copy of early 20th century photograph showing shipping building looking south. Photo owned by Cleveland Press.
11. Copy of mid-20th century photograph showing aerial view, looking west. Photo owned by White Motor Corporation.
12. Office Building, looking west
13. Service Building, looking north
14. Service Building, entrance
15. Assembly Building, looking north
16. Assembly Building, detail
17. Sawtooth roof and ventilators, looking south
18. Assembly Buildings, Power Plant (rear), looking south
19. Power Plant, looking east
20. Assembly Building, looking west
21. Metal Chute
22. Assembly Buildings, looking north
23. Central craneway, looking north
24. Machine Shop, original line shafting and belts
25. Ingersoll-Rand generator
Back to Cleveland, Ohio