Old Detroit Street Bridge, Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, OH
Find maps of Cleveland, OH
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER OH-8
Building/structure dates: 1898 initial construction
Significance: The twin skewed arch masonry highway bridge is Cleveland's oldest extant bridge. It was built by the Cleveland & Mahoning Valley Railroad Company to carry Detroit Street over its twin tracks. The railroad, completed in 1856, connected Cleveland with the rich coal fields of Ohio's Mahoning Valley, thereby contributing to the demise of the Ohio & Erie Canal.
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
Back to Cleveland, Ohio