Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Ohio

>

Cleveland

>

Division Avenue Pumping Station & Filtration Plant, West 45th Street and Division Avenue, Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, OH



B&W Photos

HB947155

HB947156

HB947157

HB947158

HB947159

HB947160

HB947161

HB947162

HB947163

HB947164

HB947165

HB947166

HB947167

HB947168

HB947169

HB947170

HB947171

HB947172

HB947173

HB947174

HB947175

HB947176

HB947177

HB947178

HB947179

HB947180

HB947181

HB947182

HB947183

HB947184

HB947185

HB947186

HB947187

HB947188

HB947189

HB947190

HB947191

HB947192

HB947193

HB947194

HB947195


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Color Transparencies

Image not currently available to download
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Item Title


Location
West 45th Street and Division Avenue, Cleveland, OH

Find maps of Cleveland, OH


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER OH-3
Building/structure dates: 1850 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1874 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1897 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1917 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1945 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1953 subsequent work
National Register Number: 74001438
Significance: The two plants represented state-of-the-art technology for water treatment. With their additions over the years they have supplied sufficient clean water to the citizens of Cleveland. The construction of the two plants evidenced several innovative movements in the history of technology as applied to tunneling the treatment of water.First put into service in 1917, the Division Avenue Pumping Station was a notable engineering achievement, representing the apogee of the steam-powered reciprocating pumping engine to furnish water to the households of Cleveland, then the nation's sixth-largest city. As built, the station was equipped with six triple-expansion steam pumping engines having capacities ranging from 10 to 25 million gallons per day. Three of these, all built by Allis Chalmers, still remained in 1974 when the station, cited as a "rare technological landmark" and said to be unique in the state of Ohio, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Incorporating elements of the Second Renaissance Revival style, the substantial four-story brick building that housed the engines is notable in its own right and is an integral component of a water-treatment plant sharing a common architectural idiom.

Subjects
Municipal Government
Water Supply
Pumping Stations


Related Names
Pratt, R. Winthrop
Stephenson, Frank H.
Stein, Milton F.
Jones, R. S.
Ruggles, A. V.
Cleveland Water Department, Drafting Division


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Jet Lowe (JL) photographer, summer 1978, View showing top floor of boiler house with continuous bucket conveyor belt which delivers coal into bins located immediately below, and for removal of ashes from boiler furnaces.
2. JL photographer, summer 1978. View from south of Division Avenue Punting and Filtration plant.
3. JL photographer, summer 1978. General view of filteration plant and pumping station.
4. JL photographer, summer 1978. View of pumping station and filtration plant from East.
5. JL photographer, summer 1978. View in filteration gallery looking to filter pits.
6. JL photographer, summer 1978. View of Sterling coal fired furnaces in pumping station.
7. JL photographer, summer 1978. View from East looking down filteration gallery.
8. JL photographer, summer 1978. Interior view of pump room, pumping station.
9. JL photographer, summer 1978. General view of pumping room in pumping station from second tier.
10. Photocopy of orignial photograph in Cleveland Public Library Cleveland Picture Collection (CPL,CPC), date of original unknown, showing engine houses 1, 2, and 3, the fully developed 19thcv Division avenue pumping station before construction of present plant. This plant was demolished.
11. Photocopy of original in CPL, CPC of first Cleveland water works engine house at Kentucky Street and Lakefront. Photo c 1856, 1857. Photo taken from the south; the building housed two cornish steam engines.
12. Photocopy of original in CPL,CPC showing view of walkway on top of Kentucky Street Reservoir, W 38th and Franklin Streets. Reservoir in operation between 1856-1886.
13. Photocopy of original photograph in collection of John Nash, Cleveland Water Department, showing Allis Chambers triple-expansion steam engine at the Division Avenue Plant. Photo ca. 1900-1920. Engine now demolished.
14. Photocopy of original photograph in collection of John Nash, Cleveland Water Department, showing concrete block setter used in construction of tunnel under Lake Erie from crib #2 to crib #5 (1913-1916).
15. Photocopy of engineering drawing F-790 in files of Utilities Engineering files in Cleveland of the Allis-Chambers steam engine. This side elevation of the engine in the Division Avenue plant is the last remaining drawing of them in existence. The engine was dismantled. Date of drawing is 1914.
16. Photocopy of drawing # F-1103 in files of Utilities Engineering Department in Cleveland showing water flow diagram in the Division Avenue Plant. Drawing dated March 11, 1921. Flow is still in existence.
17. Photocopy of drawing # L-142 in files of Utilities Engineering files in Cleveland showing section and plan of Filtration Plant (Division Avenue). Drawing dated 1914.
18. Photocopy of drawing #F-859 in files of Utilities Engineering Department in Cleveland of West Elevation and Details of Division Avenue Pumping Station. Drawing dated 1914.
19. Photocopy of drawing # L-141 in files of Utilities Engineering Department in Cleveland showing General Plan of Division Avenue Filtration Plant. Drawing dated 1914.
20. Photocopy of drawing # L-145 in files of Utilities Engineering Department in Cleveland showing sections of interior trusses of Division Avenue Filtration Plant. Drawing dated 1914.
21. Photocopy of drawing in files of Utilities Engineering Department in Cleveland showing section of Coal Weighing hoppers in Division Avenue Pumping station. Drawing dated 1915.
22. Photocopy of original drawing in files of Utilities Engineering Division in Cleveland showing proposed arrangement of Holly Engine in Old Division Avenue Plant. Drawing dated 1900.
23. Photocopy of drawing in files of Utilities Engineering Department in Cleveland showing proposed location and shafting of 5x7 tunnels leading to the Division Avenue Pumping Station. Drawing dated 1914.
24. Photocopy of original photograph in collection of John Nash, Cleveland Water Department showing tunnel construction scene in East Side Lake tunnel ca. 1900.
25. Photocopy of original photograph in collection of John Nash, Cleveland Water Department showing roster calibrating equipment in the Water Department ca. 1930s.
26. Photocopy of original photograph in collection of John Nash, Cleveland Water Department showing nine foot tunnel under Lake Erie for water supply. location is a Crib #1. photo undated.
27. Photocopy of drawing L-910 showing West elevation of Filter building, Baldwin Filtration Plant. Drawing dated 1924. Original drawing in Utilities Engineering Division, Celveland.
28. Photocopy of drawing L-1100 in Utilities Engineering Division, Cleveland Public Works showing plan and section of chemical house and mixing chambers at BAldwin Filtration Plant. Drawing dated 1924.
29. Photocopy of drawing L-1314 showing detail of columns for filtered water reservoir at the Baldwin Filtration Plant. Drawing in Utilities Engineering Department, Cleveland and is dated 1924.
30. Photocopy of drawing L-784 in Utilities Engineering, Cleveland showing general plan of Baldwin Filtration Plant. Drawing dated 1923.
31. Photocopy of drawing L-974 in Utilities Engineering Department, Cleveland, dated 1927, showing experimental dechlorinating plant, Baldwin Filtration Plant.
32. Photocopy of drawing in Utilities Engineering Department, Cleveland, dated 1896, showing elevation of iron protection crib #3 and boat landing.
33. Photocopy of drawing in Utilities Engineering Department, Cleveland, dated 1916, showing general plan and sections of Baldwin Reservoir.
34. PHOTOCOPY of drawing in Utilities Engineering Department, Cleveland, dated 1916, showing plan and sections with proposed roof of Baldwin Reservoir.
35. JL photographer, summer 1978, general view of chemical mixer Baldwin Filtration plant
36. JL photographer, summer 1978, general view of experimental ammonia chlorine process equipment from ca 1930's at Baldwin Filtration Plant.
37. JL photographer, summer 1978, general view of Fairmount Reservoir (constructed 1880s; an open reservoir for the Baldwin filtration plant.
38. JL photographer, summer 1978, general view of main entrance facade of Baldwin Filtration plant.
39. JL photographer, summer 1978, view of covered reservoir at Baldwin filtration plant.
40. JL photographer, summer 1978, view of filter gallery at Baldwin filtration plant.
41. JL photographer, summer 1978, view of chemical mixer from atop chemical spray nozzels.
VIEW OF CHEMICAL MIXER FROM ATOP CHEMICAL SPRAY NOZZLES
GENERAL VIEW OF SITE, WITH PUMPING STATION AT LEFT AND CHEMICAL HOUSE AT RIGHT, LOOKING NORTHEAST TOWARD DOWNTOWN CLEVELAND.
WEST ELEVATION (FACADE), LOOKING EAST.
WEST AND NORTH ELEVATIONS, LOOKING SOUTHEAST.
CORNICE AND WINDOW DETAIL, WEST ELEVATION, LOOKING NORTHEAST (LIGHT AND DARK EXPOSURES).
ENTRANCE DETAIL, LOOKING EAST INTO MAIN PUMPING HALL.
SOUTH AND EAST ELEVATIONS, LOOKING WEST. BOILER HOUSE IS AT RIGHT.
EAST ELEVATION, LOOKING WEST. BOILER HOUSE PROJECTS FROM CENTRAL BAY.
BOILER HOUSE FACADE DETAIL.
NORTH AND EAST ELEVATIONS, LOOKING SOUTHWEST. THE ONE-STORY BUILDING (WITH VENTILATORS) AT RIGHT IS THE FORMER SCREEN WELL HOUSE. AT CENTER IS THE GAS METER BUILDING. AT LEFT, IN FOREGROUND, IS A FORMER GUARD STATION OF RECENT CONSTRUCTION. (THE GUARD STATION WAS RELOCATED FOLLOWING THE 9/11 TERRORIST ATTACKS.) AT FAR RIGHT (WITH CRANE), THE NEW PUMPING STATION NEARS COMPLETION.
FILTERED WATER RESERVOIR, LOOKING NORTHWEST. A CORNER OF THE NEW PUMPING STATION IS VISIBLE AT RIGHT.
MAIN ENGINE ROOM, LOOKING NORTH. THIS ROOM ONCE HOUSED SIX STEAM PUMPING ENGINES.
MAIN ENGINE ROOM, LOOKING SOUTH.
STAIRWAY DETAIL, NORTHEAST CORNER OF THE MAIN ENGINE ROOM, LOOKING NORTHEAST.
GARRETT A. MORGAN WATER TREATMENT PLANT, LOOKING NORTHWEST FROM BERM OF WEST SHOREWAY. DIVISION AVENUE PUMPING STATION AT RIGHT. NEW PUMPING STATION, NEARING COMPLETION, AT LEFT.
GARRETT A. MORGAN WATER TREATMENT PLANT, LOOKING NORTHEAST FROM BERM OF WEST SHOREWAY, SHOWING DIVISION AVENUE PUMPING STATION (AT LEFT), FILTRATION PLANT (CENTER), AND CHEMICAL HOUSE (IN SHADOW AT RIGHT).
GARRETT A. MORGAN WATER TREATMENT PLANT, LOOKING NORTH FROM BERM OF WEST SHOREWAY, SHOWING CHEMICAL BUILDING (AT LEFT), FLOCCULATION BUILDING (RIGHT FOREGROUND), AND FILTRATION ADMINISTRATION BUILDING (AT RIGHT, BEYOND FLOCCULATION BUILDING).
GARRETT A. MORGAN WATER TREATMENT PLANT, LOOKING NORTHWEST FROM BERM OF WEST SHOREWAY, SHOWING (CLOCKWISE FROM LEFT) CHEMICAL BUILDING, PUMPING STATION, FILTRATION/ADMINISTRATION BUILDING, AND FLOCCULATION BUILDING (IN FOREGROUND).
PHOTOCOPY OF DRAWING NO. F-809, DIVISION AVENUE STATION, MAIN FLOOR PLAN, DEC. 1, 1914. COURTESY OF THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC UTILITIES, DIVISION OF WATER, CITY OF CLEVELAND.
PHOTOCOPY OF DRAWING NO. F-860, DIVISION AVENUE STATION, EAST ELEVATION AND DETAILS, DRAWN BY W.H.C., MAR. 22, 1915. COURTESY OF THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC UTILITIES, DIVISION OF WATER, CITY OF CLEVELAND.
PHOTOCOPY OF DRAWING NO. F-861, DIVISION AVENUE STATION PAVILION, ELEVATIONS AND DETAILS OF MAIN ENTRANCE DOORS, DRAWN BY W.H.C., MAR. 20, 1915. COURTESY OF THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC UTILITIES, DIVISION OF WATER, CITY OF CLEVELAND.
PHOTOCOPY OF DRAWING NO. F-862, DIVISION AVENUE STATION, SOUTH AND EAST ELEVATION AND SECTION THRU TRACK SHELTER BOILER ROOM, MAR. 10, 1915. COURTESY OF THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC UTILITIES, DIVISION OF WATER, CITY OF CLEVELAND.
PHOTOCOPY OF DRAWING NO. F-1105, DIVISION AVENUE STATION, TRANSVERSE SECTION THRU BOILER ROOM (LOOKING EAST), APR. 13, 1921. COURTESY OF THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC UTILITIES, DIVISION OF WATER, CITY OF CLEVELAND.
PHOTOCOPY OF DRAWING NO. F-1106, DIVISION AVENUE STATION, LONGITUDINAL SECTION THRU BOILER ROOM (LOOKING NORTH), MAY 11, 1921. COURTESY OF THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC UTILITIES, DIVISION OF WATER, CITY OF CLEVELAND.
GENERAL VIEW OF SITE, WITH PUMPING STATION AT LEFT AND CHEMICAL HOUSE AT RIGHT.


Back to Cleveland, Ohio