Collinwood Railroad Yard Coal Tipple, Between East 146th Street & East 152nd Street, Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, OH
Photo Caption Pages
Between East 146th Street & East 152nd Street, Cleveland, OH
Find maps of Cleveland, OH
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER OH-26
Significance: In 1903, the New York Central Railroad established a repair shop and railroad yard in Collinwood, Ohio, later annexed by Cleveland. The yard's reinforced concrete coal tipple, built around 1944, hoisted coal out of railroad cars and into storage bins supported by columns over railroad tracks. The steam locomotive's tender was driven on the track beneath the storage bin and received coal through gravity chutes. The small tower at the top of the coal tipple housed the hoisting equipment used to raise the coal to the top of the storage bins. The transition from steam to diesel and electric power ended the use of the Collinwood Yard's coal tipple. The yard's roundhouse, machine shop, and coal bunker are no longer extant.
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. COALING TOWER, WEST ELEVATION
2. LOCOMOTIVE COALING TOWER. VIEW IS TOWARDS BAYS THAT STILL HOUSE REMNANTS OF THE TOWER'S CONVEYOR SYSTEM.
3. DETAIL VIEW OF SHELTER WHERE COAL WAS HOISTED BY CONVEYOR TO STORAGE BINS.
4. EAST ELEVATION. TOWER, OF REINFORCED CONCRETE CONSTRUCTION, WAS BUILT IN 1944 TO SPEED UP THE FUELING OF LOCOMOTIVE TENDERS DURING WARTIME.
Back to Cleveland, Ohio