Cleveland Municipal Airport, Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, OH
See 42 maps of this location
Find maps of Cleveland, OH
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER OH-2
Building/structure dates: 1929 initial construction
Significance: First municipally constructed and owned airport in the country. Served as a model for American airport design, and pioneered air traffic control through use of a radio-equipped control tower in 1930. It was the site of the famous Cleveland National Air Races from 1929, 1931-39 and 1946-49, and also the location of a major B-29 bomber plant during World War II. The present airport exists on the same land appropriated through a municipal bond issue in 1924, with some additional land acquired since that time. All original structures have been demolished, although some of the early control tower structure and equipment are at the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C.
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. General view of passenger waiting room c. 1937.
2. View showing 'hanger row', Cleveland Municipal Airport,C 1937.
3. General view of interior of air traffic control tower, 1937.
4. View showing WPA paving project on the landing mat, 1937.
5. View at night showing field lighting, 1937.
6. Exterior view of Administration Building, 1937.
7. Exterior veiw showing boarding gates, 1937.
8. Exterior view of boarding area, 1937.
9. General view of grandstands used for viewing air races, 1937.
10. View showing 1/2 billionnc.p. light at airport.
11. Detail drawing of control tower, 1935.
12. Drawing of additions and alterations of Administration Building. West elevation, 1935.
13. Drawing of first floor plan, Administration Building, 1929.
14. Drawing of second floor plan, Administration Building, 1929.
15. Drawing of West elevation of Administration Building, 1929.
Back to Cleveland, Ohio