Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Ohio

>

Cleveland

>

Cleveland City Hall, 601 Lakeside Avenue, Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, OH



B&W Photos

HB945356

HB945357

HB945358

HB945359

HB945360

HB945361

HB945362

HB945363

HB945364

HB945365

HB945366

HB945367

HB945368

HB945369


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
601 Lakeside Avenue, Cleveland, OH

Find maps of Cleveland, OH


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS OH-428
Building/structure dates: 1916 initial construction
Significance: The present Cleveland City Hall was the first and only to be built by the City of Cleveland since the City's incorporation in 1836. Prior to its dedication on July 4, 1916, city government offices were housed in a series of two Superior Avenue locations in Cleveland's commercial district. Offices were again rented in 1875 when Cleveland City Hall settled into the Case Block. The Block was purchased from the Case Estate in 1906 and five years later the cornerstone was laid for the present City Hall. Designated Cleveland's first landmark on December 6, 1972, Cleveland City Hall reflects the vision of early urban planners who guided it to completion as part of the Group Plan, or Mall Plan conceived at the turn of the century. Cleveland-born architect, J. Milton Dyer, incorporated Neo-Classic and Beaux-Arts design with Doric Order in the main lobby to create a simple yet dignified setting for city government.

Related Names
Dyer, J. Milton


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Photographer unknown,Feb. 16,1914,construction photo
2. Photographer unknown,Oct. 1,1914,construction photo
3. Tibor Gasparik,photographer,March 8,1973, Front (south) elevation
4. Tibor Gasparik,photographer,date unknown, Lake Erie (north) and east elevations
5. Tibor Gasparik,photographer,date unknown,aerial view of north elevation
6. Tibor Gasparik,photographer,June 25,1980,Great Hall
7. Tibor Gasparik,photographer,Aug 12,1981,Great Hall column detail
8. Warner Thomas,Jr.,photographer,July 8,1980,Council Chamber
9. Warner Thomas,Jr.,photographer,Aug 17,1981,Council Chamber,President's desk
10. Warner Thomas,Jr.,photographer,Aug 17,1981,Council Chamber oak panelling
11. Tibor Gasparik,photographer,Aug 12,1981,bronze entry gate to Mayor's Office
12. Tibor Gasparik,photographer,Aug 12,1981, close-up of bronze entry gate
13. Tibor Gasparik,photographer,Aug 12,1981,Mayor's office (also known as Tapestry Room)
14. Tibor Gasparik,photographer,Aug 12,1981, sitting room adjacent to Mayor's office


Back to Cleveland, Ohio