Cleveland Breakwater at Cleveland Harbor, Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, OH
Find maps of Cleveland, OH
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER OH-1
Building/structure dates: 184 initial construction
Significance: The Cleveland Breakwater is a significant example of engineering technology. The construction of the breakwater is relatively simple in concept, but demonstrated several innovative engineering advances. The breakwater created the Cleveland Harbor and thus allowed for significant commercial development on the waterfront of Cleveland.
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. Photocopy of original 1875 drawing of plan for construction of West Breakwater from files of Corps of Engineers, Buffalo District. Plan was never used.
2. Photocopy of 1827 map of mouth of Cuyahoga River from Corps of Engineers files, Buffalo District. This is the earliest map of the Cleveland Harbor in the Corps' files.
3. Photocopy of 1900 map of Cleveland Harbor, from Corps of Engineers files, Buffalo District.
4. Photocopy of early 20th cv. concrete superstructure photograph, Cleveland West Breakwater. This is the first concrete superstructure erected on the Harbor. From Cleveland Picture Collection, Cleveland Public Library, Cleveland, Ohio(CPL). Original by Corps of Engineers.
5. Photocopy of c 1903 photograph in CPL depicting construction scene and beginnings of rubble mound segment of Breakwater. Original by Corps of Engineers.
6. Photocopy of late 19cv photograph in CPL depicting West government pier at the mouth of the Cuyahoga River. West end of Breakwater in distance. Original by Corps of Engineers.
7. Photocopy of c 1837 map of Cleveland Harbor with two plans for additonal harbor. This is the first map to show the Cleveland Breakwater. Original in the Corps' files, Buffalo District.
8. Photocopy of c 1920 photograph shwoing Cleveland Harbor, west. Shows development of shore opposite west Breakwater(in this scene already 50 years old.) Original in CPL.
9. Photocopy of 1897 drawing of new concrete superstructure for West Breakwater. Drawing shows original construction of 1st breakwater and late 19th cv rehabilitation with concrete. Original drawing in Corps' files, Buffalo District.
10. General veiw of repair work on West Breakwater. Note quarry stone piled up in foreground.
11. View of derrick crane making repair to West Breakwater.
12. View of West Breakwater. Concrete cap resting on wooden cribwork. Derrick barge at work repairing concrete and pouring new cap.
13. General view of East Breakwater showing repair work on cap.
14. View showing junction of arrowhead breakwater with West Breakwater at Harbor entrance At left is automatically controlled lighthouse.
15. View showing repair work on East Breakwater.
16. General view of concrete pier marking junction of two East Breakwaters, with supply of stone resting on top.
Back to Cleveland, Ohio