John Bright No. 2 Covered Bridge, Bish Road (Township Route 263) over Poplar Creek, Carroll, Fairfield County, OH
Photo Caption Pages
Bish Road (Township Route 263) over Poplar Creek, Carroll vicinity, OH
Find maps of Carroll, OH
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER OH-45
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-4).
Building/structure dates: 1881 initial construction
National Register Number: 75001393
Significance: The John Bright No. 2 Covered Bridge was built in 1881 by the local firm of Augustus Borneman and Sons of Lancaster, Ohio. The suspension truss design is very unusual, and is known to have been used in only a few bridges in the state. It is virtually identical to the nearby John Bright No. 1 Iron Bridge (see HAER No. OH-44), although the Covered Bridge was strengthened by a wooden arch added at a later date. The design is somewhat similar to a number of mid to late 19th century patents, but it is almost identical to Archibald McGuffie's 1861 patent: "Improvement in Construction of Bridges." This bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
Augustus Borneman & Sons
Davis, W. O.
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. VIEW OF EAST PORTAL, SHOWING GABLE END OF BRIDGE
2. VIEW OF WEST PORTAL
3. DETAIL OF CORNER END OF BRIDGE, SHOWING INTERIOR VIEW OF ENDPOST, THREE PANELS OF TRUSSING, SUPPORTING ARCH, AND A PORTION OF THE GABLED ROOF
4. VIEW FROM STREAMBED, LOOKING AT SOUTH ELEVATION, SHOWING WOODEN-ARCH AND TRUSSING
5. DETAIL VIEW OF SINGLE PANEL POINT OF TRUSS, SHOWING LOWER CHORD CONNECTION BETWEEN VERTICAL POST, SUSPENSION EYE-BAR, AND DECK BEAM; PORTION OF WOODEN-ARCH ALSO IS IN VIEW
6. DETAIL VIEW FROM INTERIOR OF BRIDGE, SHOWING TWO PANEL POINTS OF TRUSSING AND WOODEN-ARCH
Back to Carroll vicinity, Ohio