Watervliet Arsenal, Building No. 3, Mordecai Drive South of Stewart Road, Watervliet, Albany County, NY
Photo Caption Pages
Mordecai Drive South of Stewart Road, Watervliet, NY
Find maps of Watervliet, NY
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS NY-5521-F
Building/structure dates: 1889 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1906 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1919 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1941 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1958 subsequent work
National Register Number: 66000503
Significance: Erected in 1889, this building is one of two similar quarters built to house an increased officer staff necessitated by establishment of the Army's gun factory at Watervliet. Located in the housing area developed at the north side of the arsenal in the 19th century, it is a good example of a Queen Anne style residence.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. SE (FRONT) & NE ELEVATIONS; LOOKING NW. (Ryan)
2. SW & SE (FRONT) ELEVATIONS; LOOKING N. (Ryan)
3. NE & NW (REAR) ELEVATIONS; LOOKING W. (Ryan)
4. ENTRY HALL, SHOWING FIREPLACE AND MAIN STAIRCASE; LOOKING E. (Ryan)
5. LIVING ROOM, SHOWING FIREPLACE AND, THROUGH THE SLIDING DOORS, THE LIBRARY; LOOKING WNW. (Ceronie)
6. DETAIL OF LIVING ROOM FIREPLACE; LOOKING NW. (Ceronie)
7. Photograph of a photograph in possession of the Watervliet Arsenal Museum, New York. SOUTHEAST (FRONT) AND SOUTHWEST ELEVATIONS. QUARTERS 4 IS SHOWN AT THE RIGHT. UNDATED.
8. Photograph of line drawing in possession of the Engineering Division of the Directorate of Engineering and Housing, Watervliet Arsenal, New York. SECOND FLOOR PLAN, UNDATED.
Back to Watervliet, New York