Watervliet Arsenal, Building No. 15, Buffington Street between Symington Street & Dalli, Watervliet, Albany County, NY
Photo Caption Pages
Buffington Street between Symington Street & Dalli, Watervliet, NY
Find maps of Watervliet, NY
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER NY-1-I
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-2).
Building/structure dates: 1839 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1910 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1890 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1918 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1942 subsequent work
National Register Number: 66000503
Significance: One of two similar structures apparently built in 1839 as carriage storehouses, this building represents one of the few remaining vestiges of carriage making and storage, an important element of nineteenth-century manufacture at the arsenal.
Baker, Maj. Rufus L.
Hightower, Barbara E., Historian
Ryan, Robert A., Photographer
Ceronie, J., Photographer
Dennett, Muessig, Ryan And Associates, Ltd., Photographer
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. W & S ELEVATIONS; LOOKING NE. (Ceronie)
2. N & W ELEVATIONS, SHOWING AT THE LEFT THE 1942 MOTOR POOL GARAGE ADDITION TO BUILDING 15; LOOKING SE. (Ryan)
3. DETAIL VIEW OF TYPICAL DOORWAY (NOW CLOSED FROM BEHIND), W ELEVATION. (Ryan)
4. Photograph of a photograph in possession of the Watervliet Arsenal Museum, New York. WEST AND SOUTH ELEVATIONS SHOWN BEFORE REMOVAL OF HIGH BAY OVER CENTER OF BUILDING. POSSIBLY TAKEN AFTER 1892.
5. Photograph of a photograph in possession of the Watervliet Arsenal Museum, New York. SOUTH AND EAST ELEVATIONS SHOWN BEFORE REMOVAL OF HIGH BAY OVER CENTER OF BUILDING POSSIBLY TAKEN AFTER 1892.
Back to Watervliet, New York