Windmill at Water Mill, Montauk Highway & Halsey Lane, Water Mill, Suffolk County, NY
Photo Caption Pages
Montauk Highway & Halsey Lane, Water Mill, NY
Find maps of Water Mill, NY
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER NY-134
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-16).
Building/structure dates: 1800 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1887
Significance: The Windmill at Water Mill is one of 11 extant late 18th and early 19th century wind-driven gristmills on eastern Long Island; it served the milling needs of local farmers when eastern Long Island was primarily a grain and cattle producing area lacking in sufficient water power. One of nine remaining windmills with major internals works, the mill structure and machinery offer important documentation of the wood joinery techniques used in 17th, 18th and 19th century American domestic and utilitarian architecture. The mill also helps document eastern Long Island's cultural and economic ties to New England, as well as the migration of millwriting technologies from England.
Corwith, Samuel J.
Corwith, James H.
Keyes, Dr. Edward L.
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. WEST ELEVATION
2. WEST ELEVATION
3. NORTHEAST ELEVATION
4. EAST ELEVATION
5. FLOOR 3: BRAKE WHEEL AND WALLOWER; WINDSHAFT OF FOUR PINE TIMBERS INSTALLED AFTER 1900
6. FLOOR 2 LOOKING NORTH; GREAT SPUR WHEEL, STONE NUT TO BURR STONES
7. FLOOR 2: STONE CRANE IN PLACE FOR NORTH STONES, OAK SPAR, JIB AND BRACE, IRON YOKE AND SCREW
8. FLOOR 1: TENTERING GEAR FOR SOUTH STONES, CENTRIFUGAL GOVERNOR MOUNTED ON STONE SPINDLE, VERY SHORT STEELYARD
9. FLOOR 1: FLOUR BOLTER, REEL IN PLACE BUT CLOTH MISSING: LAYSHAFT WHICH FORMERLY DROVE BOLTER IS STORED AGAINST WALL
10. FLOOR 1: WINDMILL AT WATERMILL
11. STOVE NUT USED IN THE MILL WHEN THE BRAKE WHEEL DROVE ONE PAIR OF MILLSTONES DIRECTLY; FOUND ON THE FIRST FLOOR OF THE WINDMILL AT WATERMILL
Back to Water Mill, New York