Emerson Sawmill, Scroon River, River Street, Warrensburg, Warren County, NY
Photo Caption Pages
River Street, Warrensburg, NY
Find maps of Warrensburg, NY
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER NY-146
Building/structure dates: 1820 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1900 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1968 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1980 demolished
Significance: The Emerson Sawmill was an integral part of the Warrensburg Historic District, an early 19th century industrial community based on the abundance of wood in the Adirondack wilderness. The community at its peak had only one brick structure, everything else was wood frame. The original mill dam is still intact, formerly straddled by the Emerson Mill. The dam consists of piled boulders with a wood plank shield on the exposed side to prevent dislodging of the boulders by the spillover. ...
Emerson & Company
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. VIEW LOOKING WEST, SHOWING SHIRT FACTORIES AND SAWMILL
2. VIEW LOOKING SOUTH, RIVER ELEVATION
3. VIEW LOOKING NORTHWEST, 3/4 ELEVATION
4. VIEW LOOKING WEST, GENERAL ELEVATION
5. VIEW LOOKING WEST, SHOWING COLLAPSED EAST WING
6. DETAIL VIEW, 3/4 ELEVATION OF CUPOLA
7. GENERAL VIEW LOOKING SOUTHEAST FROM SURFACING ROOM
8. VIEW LOOKING EAST, GENERAL INTERIOR
9. VIEW LOOKING WEST TOWARD SAW AND LOG CARRIAGE, LOGS AND LOG HOIST AT RIGHT
10. VIEW LOOKING SOUTHEAST, PLANING ROOM
11. VIEW LOOKING SOUTH, TOWARD COLLAPSED LATH AND SHINGLE SHOP. DOUBLE EDGER IN FOREGROUND BY LANE MANUFACTURING CO.
12. VIEW LOOKING NORTH, SHOWING COLLAPSED LATH AND SHINGLE SHOP AT LEFT. NOTE EXPOSED ORIGINAL SHINGLE ROOF OF SAWMILL
13. VIEW LOOKING SOUTHEAST SHOWING LOG HOIST, LOG CARRIAGE AND CIRCULAR SAW
14. DETAIL VIEW, INTERIOR OF SOUTH MALL
15. DETAIL VIEW, INTERIOR NORTHWEST CORNER OF MILL SHOWING ELABORATE CORNER AND WINDOW BRACING AND FLOOR HATCH
16. DETAIL VIEW, ROCKER MECHANISM
17. DETAIL VIEW, LOG MARK ON FLOORBOARDS, 'LITTLE BARRED O'
Back to Warrensburg, New York