Harlem Fire Watchtower, Marcus Garvey Park, New York, New York County, NY
Photo Caption Pages
Marcus Garvey Park, New York, NY
Find maps of New York, NY
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER NY-104
Building/structure dates: 1856 initial construction
Significance: The Harlem Fire Watch Tower is the last remaining fire watch tower in New York City. It was one of the first completely iron structures in New York City and is the last of only three iron watch towers built in Manhattan. The tower is also a fine example of architectural detailing in iron.
Fire Lookout Stations
Kroehl, Julius B.
Zane, Stephen, Photographer
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. Tower, plaza, hospital (Tower is leaning, camera is level!)
2. Vertical tower and plaza.
3. Overview from hospital looking west.
4. Elevation looking northeast.
5. Looking up tower.
6. View of bell and joint.
7. Tower from below looking west.
8. Detail view of stair treads.
9. Automatic bellringer apparatus
10. Detail view of cupola column and beam connection.
11. Detail view of beam connection at top of second tier.
12. Detail view of column, architrave and cornice connection at platform level.
13. Detail of collumn, architrave, cornice and railing at platform level.
Back to New York, New York