Delaware & Hudson Canal, Delaware Aqueduct Toll House, Minisink Ford, Sullivan County, NY
Photo Caption Pages
Delaware Aqueduct Toll House, Minisink Ford, NY
Find maps of Minisink Ford, NY
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER NY-205
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N136).
National Register Number: 68000051
Significance: In 1908, Charles Spruks bought the defunct Delaware Aqueduct for use as a bridge between his lands in Sullivan County and timber customers in Pennsylvania. As a side business, he built a tollhouse to collect fees from local travellers. Successive owners maintained this business for the next seventy years. Until the 1950s, the tollhouse served both as office and residence of those who collected tolls and repaired the bridge. After 1955, it served only as office and tollbooth since most of the subsequent tollkeepers lived in Minisink Ford. In 1979, the toll operation closed. The tollhouse became an interpretive center when it and the bridge were purchased in 1980 by the National Park Service.
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. TOLLHOUSE; PORTAL VIEW LOOKING WEST.
2. DETAIL OF EAST ELEVATION OF THE TOLLHOUSE.
3. TOLLHOUSE, STREET ELEVATION.
4. PERSPECTIVE FROM THE NORTHWEST.
5. TOLLHOUSE; WEST PORCH.
6. TOLLHOUSE; SOUTH ELEVATION.
7. INTERIOR OF THE TOLLHOUSE, SECOND FLOOR LOOKING WEST.
8. INTERIOR OF THE TOLLHOUSE, SECOND FLOOR LOOKING EAST.
9. INTERIOR OF THE TOLLHOUSE, EXHIBIT ROOM ON THE FIRST FLOOR.
10. INTERIOR OF THE TOLLHOUSE, EXHIBIT ROOM ON THE FIRST FLOOR ON THE WEST.
Back to Minisink Ford, New York