Lefferts Tide Mill, Huntington Harbor, Southdown Road, Huntington, Suffolk County, NY
Photo Caption Pages
Southdown Road, Huntington, NY
Find maps of Huntington, NY
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER NY-106
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-12).
Building/structure dates: 1795 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1870 subsequent work
Significance: The Lefferts Mill is a fine example of a tide mill, a relatively rare engineering structure. It is also important as an example of a typical Long Island water-powered grist mill in its equipment, process, and economic niche within the Island's history of gristmilling. Built around 1795, the Lefferts mill was operated until the 1870s. The changes made in its machinery during its useful lifetime, as well as during its economic decline, reflect changes taking place in the grain and flour industry of Long Island during those eighty years.
Van Wyck, Abraham
Van Wyck, Abraham
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. EXTERIOR, LOOKING SOUTH
2. EXTERIOR, LOOKING NORTHWEST
3. INTERIOR, LOOKING NORTHWEST; THIRD FLOOR: BIN FLOOR, SACK HOIST
4. INTERIOR, LOOKING SOUTH; THIRD FLOOR: BIN FLOOR, SMUTTER
5. INTERIOR, LOOKING EAST; THIRD FLOOR: BIN FLOOR, HOPPER AND THIRD FLOOR SCREENER
6. INTERIOR, LOOKING SOUTHWEST; SECOND FLOOR: STONE FLOOR, HOPPER, HORSE, AND HOOP ARRANGEMENTS, CRANE WITH RUNNER STONE
7. INTERIOR, LOOKING SOUTHWEST; SECOND FLOOR: HOPPER, HORSE, AND HOOP ARRANGEMENT ON LEFT, CRANE WITH STONE ON RIGHT
8. INTERIOR, LOOKING SOUTHEAST: HOPPER, HORSE, AND HOOP ARRANGEMENT ON LEFT, GARNER IN CENTER, AND CROWN WHEEL ON RIGHT
9. INTERIOR, LOOKING SOUTH; SECOND FLOOR: STONE FLOOR, CRANE AND STONE
10. INTERIOR, LOOKING NORTHEAST; SECOND FLOOR: STONE FLOOR, LOOSE MACHINERY ON FLOOR (SHAFTS, CONVEYOR)
11. INTERIOR, LOOKING SOUTHWEST; FIRST FLOOR: MEAL FLOOR
12. INTERIOR, LOOKING NORTHEAST; FIRST FLOOR: MEAL FLOOR, WORKBENCH AREA
13. INTERIOR, LOOKING SOUTHWEST; INSIDE COG PIT: GREAT SPUR WHEEL AND WALLOWER ON LEFT, AUXILIARY PINION ON RIGHT
14. INTERIOR, LOOKING EAST; INSIDE COT PIT: STONE NUT ON LEFT, AUXILLARY PINION ON RIGHT
15. INSIDE COG PIT: GREAT SPUR WHEEL AND WALLOWER IN BACKGROUND, STONE NUT IN FOREGROUND
16. INTERIOR; INSIDE COG PIT: AUXILIARY PINION
17. PHOTOCOPY OF EXTERIOR, LOOKING NORTHWEST. COURTESY OF HISTORIC HUNTINGTON, 1903
18. PHOTOCOPY OF EXTERIOR, LOOKING NORTHWEST. COURTESY OF HISTORIC HUNTINGTON, 1903.
19. PHOTOCOPY OF c. 1920 VIEW LOOKING NORTHEAST. COURTESY OF GWENDOLYN G. de CLAIRVILLE, HUNTINGTON, WEST VIRGINIA 11743
Back to Huntington, New York