First Presbyterian Church, 125 East Main Street, Huntington, Suffolk County, NY
See 29 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
125 East Main Street, Huntington, NY
Find maps of Huntington, NY
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS NY-5410
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-328).
Significance: It was built in 1784, and was the third church for the Huntington Congregation. A group of missionaries, under the leadership of William Leverich, arrived in Long Island from Massachusetts in 1653 to convert the Indians. Settlers soon followed the missionaries, purchasing land around Oyster Bay and Huntington from the Algonquin Indians. The Huntington Congregation formed in 1658 with Leverich as their minister...
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
10. MAIN (SOUTH) ELEVATION
11. MAIN ELEVATION, DETAIL OF ENTRANCE
12. WEST ELEVATION, DETAIL OF WINDOW AND CORNERSTONE
13. VIEW OF NAVE, BALCONY SEATS AND PULPIT, TAKEN FROM BALCONY
14. VIEW OF PODIUM AND PULPIT, VIEW TAKEN LOOKING NORTHEAST
15. VIEW OF MAIN BODY OF CHURCH, VIEW TAKEN LOOKING SOUTHEAST TOWARD ORGAN LOFT
16. VIEW OF BALCONY, DETAIL OF PEWS, VIEW TAKEN LOOKING NORTHWEST
Back to Huntington, New York