Jacobs Building, 523 Exchange Street, Geneva, Ontario County, NY
See 24 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
523 Exchange Street, Geneva, NY
Find maps of Geneva, NY
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS NY-5705
Building/structure dates: 1890 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1950 subsequent work
Significance: The building originally was a double mercantile building, with the lower floor used for store space and the upper floors for office space. For many years the first floor of the northern section of the building (the front faces west) was operated by Meyer Jacobs, one of the original owners of the building, and later by his son Perry Jacobs, as a men's clothing and tailoring business. This ceased in 1937 with Perry Jacobs' death. The Mutual Clothing Store leased with Jacobs-owned store for a number of years...
Dove, William G.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. General view of Jacobs Building (small structure to the right of a larger building)
2. Rear (east) view of Jacobs Building (second from right, next to a larger building to the left)
Back to Geneva, New York