Erie Canal (Enlarged), Lock Number 18, 252 North Mohawk Street, Cohoes, Albany County, NY
See 39 maps of this location
252 North Mohawk Street, Cohoes, NY
Find maps of Cohoes, NY
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER NY-11
Building/structure dates: 1841 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1969
National Register Number: 66000530
Significance: Lock 18 of the Enlarged Erie Canal was part of a scheme to reduce the number of locks between Albany and Schenectady, thus making transportation easier and speedier on what was one of the most difficult stretches of the canal. Promoters of the Enlarged Erie Canal, which was designed by some of the outstanding engineers of the day, believed that by doubling the locks on the canal, and by increasing the size of the locks and the canal bed itself, the economy of New York State would be improved and the chances of competition from railways lessened. Although the lock now contains no water, it remains a fine specimen of canal era masonry work.
Locks (hydraulic Facilities)
Jervis, John Bloomfield
McAlpine, William Jarvis
Smith, James T.
Lansing, Isaac D. F.
Bourgeois, Albina M.
Waite, Diana S., Historian
Pollak, Richard J., Historian
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
Back to Cohoes, New York