Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

New York

>

Buffalo

>

Buffalo Gas Light Company, 249 West Genesee Street, Buffalo, Erie County, NY



See 32 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB907845

HB907846


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title
Buffalo Gas Light Company, 249 West Genesee Street, Buffalo, Erie County, NY

Location
249 West Genesee Street, Buffalo, NY

Find maps of Buffalo, NY


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER NY-64
Building/structure dates: 1848 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1859 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1877 subsequent work
Significance: The Buffalo Gas Light Company began the manufacture of illuminating gas from coal in horizontal retorts in 1848. At that time the designated lamp district in the city contained 179 lights with fan tail burners. In 1859 an addition was made to the front of the retort house. A 20 foot Norman facade to brick dressed with ashlar masonry, designed by John H. Selkirk, contained an engine room and a blacksmith shop and other support facilities. Today all operating equipment has been removed and the gasholders have been dismantled. The buildings on the site are being used for storage and vehicle maintenance. These buildings stand as examples of the growing gas light industry in the United States during the 19th century.

Subjects
Industrial Facilities
Industry


Related Names
Selkirk, John H.
Boucher, Jack, Photographer


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH SHOWING THE GROUNDS OF THE GAS LIGHT COMPANY FROM THE EAST.
2. AERIAL VIEW FROM SOUTHEAST. THE RETORT HOUSE IS LOCATED DIRECTLY BEHIND THE GABLED PORTION OF OF THE 1859 FACADE ADDITION. THE COAL STORAGE FACILITY/BOILER HOUSE IS TO THE RIGHT OF THE RETORT HOUSE. THE OFFICES ARE IN THE THE THREE STORY BUILDING ON THE CORNER, TO THE RIGHT OF THE 1859 FACADE.


Back to Buffalo, New York