Beebe Windmill, Hildreath Lane & Ocean Avenue (moved several times, Bridgehampton, Suffolk County, NY
Photo Caption Pages
Hildreath Lane & Ocean Avenue (moved several times, Bridgehampton, NY
Find maps of Bridgehampton, NY
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER NY-67
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-8).
Building/structure dates: 1820 initial construction
Significance: The Beebe Windmill was one of the first Long Island windmills to be equipped with a fly, regulators and cast iron gearing. It is also the only known surviving Long Island windmill to which these features are original. The ogee cap of the Beebe Windmill is the only instance of a decorative design in a Long Island windmill. All these features mark a departure from local millwriting tradition and make the Beebe the only surviving Long Island windmill which compares to English windmills of the same period.
Beebe, Capt. Lester
Tabor, Pardon T.
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. WEST ELEVATION
2. EAST ELEVATION; FANTAIL WAS REMOVED IN 1979 BECAUSE OF SEVERE DETERIORATION
3. SOUTH ELEVATION
4. WINDSHAFT AND SAILS
5. CAP; REAR HATCH, FANSTAGE TIMBERS, TAIL BEAM AND TAIL BEARING OF WINDSHAFT
6. FLOOR 4; BRAKE WHEEL WITH IRON BEVEL COGS, CAST IRON BEVEL WALLOWER
7. VIEW FROM CAP; WINDSHAFT, CLASP-ARM BRAKE WHEEL, CAST IRON WALLOWER
8. CAP; RAFTERS FOR OGEE CAP, BRAKE WHEEL AND WINDSHAFT
9. FLOOR 4; CAST IRON WALLOWER AND BRAKE WHEEL
10. FLOOR 1; VIEW LOOKING WEST SHOWS TENTERING GEAR FOR BOTH PAIR OF STONES
11. Photocopy of illustration from Halsey, William D., Sketches From Local History, Bridgehampton, New York, 1935 ATLANTIC FLOUR MILLS AND THE BEEBE WINDMILL
Back to Bridgehampton, New York