Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Nevada

>

Virginia City

>

Miners' Union Hall, West side B Street, between Union & Sutton Streets, Virginia City, Storey County, NV



See 15 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB853657

HB853658


Data Pages


Supplemental Material


Item Title


Location
between Union & Sutton Streets, Virginia City, NV

Find maps of Virginia City, NV


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS NV-15-20
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-8).
Building/structure dates: 1876 initial construction
National Register Number: 66000458
Significance: The picturesque Miners' Union and Knights of Pythias Halls are two of the few unaltered false-fronted buildings remaining in Virginia City. "Nevada Lodge No. 1" of the Knights of Pythias was formed in Virginia City on March 23, 1873. The Lodge's paraphernalia was consumed in a fire on September 11, 1875. New regalia, procured from the defunct lodge at Genoa, burned in the Great Virginia City Fire six weeks later. The existing cast iron and stuccoed brick building was built in 1875. Nevada shared it with the city's other lodges: Lincoln, No. 6 (1874), and Triumph, No. 11 (1879). A "Miners' Protective Association" was formed at Virginia City on June 6, 1863, with the central purpose of maintaining the standard wage of $4.00 a day for all work underground. Subsequently, the first demonstration to enforce this rate occurred at Gold Hill on July 31, 1864. Blacklisting of union members and general economic hard times reduced employment in 1864-65; the league disintegrated, and a wage of $3.50 was temporarily established in the spring of 1865. Employment revived, however, and a new miners' union was formed on July 4, 1867. Even after the Comstock was visibly and permanently declining in the late 1870's, the union successfully maintained the $4.00 rate. The original single story, wood meeting hall burned in the great fire of October 26, 1875. Its brick replacement, built in 1876, included an upstairs library. This library, established in 1877, was the only public library in Virginia City and the largest general library in the state. Union families had free access to its 2200 volumes while others paid $.50 a month.

Subjects
Brick Buildings
Labor Unions
Fraternal Lodges


Related Names
Mizell, Robert P., Field Team
McCreery, John T., Delineator
Schafer, Jack W., Delineator
Hartwig, Robert L., Delineator
Kerrigan, Robert W., Photographer


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Historic American Buildings Survey Robert W. Kerrigan, Photographer March 1937
2. Historic American Buildings Survey, National Park Service, San Francisco Re-photo: May 1940


Back to Virginia City, Nevada