Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Nevada

>

Reno

>

Virginia Street Bridge, Spanning Truckee River at Virginia Street, Reno, Washoe County, NV



B&W Photos

HB856591

HB856592

HB856593

HB856594

HB856595

HB856596

HB856597

HB856598

HB856599

HB856600

HB856601

HB856602

HB856603

HB856604

HB856605

HB856606


Item Title
BWPhotos 198731

Location
Spanning Truckee River at Virginia Street, Reno, NV

Find maps of Reno, NV


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER NV-14
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N869).
Building/structure dates: 1905 initial construction
Significance: The Virginia Street Bridge, built in 1905, is the oldest functioning bridge in Reno and was the first reinforced concrete bridge in the State of Nevada. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places under criteria A and C. This Virginia Street Bridge was built by the Cotton Brothers and Company of Oakland, CA, under the direction of T.K. Steward, of Reno, as Engineer in Charge. The bridge was designed by John B. Leonard of San Francisco, CA, one of the most important early 20th century bridge engineers in California. The Virginia Street Bridge provides a continuous north-south roadway through downtown Reno on Virginia Street (U.S. Highway 395 Business) following one of the earliest transportation routes through the Truckee Meadows leading to Virginia City and the Comstock Lode, Carson City, and California. A bridge has stood at this location since 1859. The two span reinforced concrete filled spandrel arch bridge of today, one of two in the State, replaced the iron bridge in 1905 when the growth of Reno necessitated a larger bridge.

Subjects
Pedestrian Bridges
Concrete Arch Bridges
Transportation


Related Names
Leonard, John B.
Cotton Brothers & Company
Stewart, T. K.
Fisher, Martin, Photographer
Boyne, Katharine R., Historian
Koval, Ana B., Historian


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Reno, Nevada