Peter Dalton Ranch, Ferretto House, 9005 South Virginia Street, Reno, Washoe County, NV
See 15 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
9005 South Virginia Street, Reno, NV
Find maps of Reno, NV
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS NV-22-B
Building/structure dates: 1926 initial construction
Significance: The Dalton-Ferretto Ranch is eligible to the National Register as a district; the four major buildings and the ten outbuildings located on approximately six acres with fencing, an orchard, and other landscape features form an intact late nineteenth century and early twentieth century ranch complex. This ranch is one of the few extant Truckee Meadows ranches. The ranch is eligible under criterion A. Ranching was the major industry in the Truckee Meadows from shortly after gold was discovered on the Comstock until the middle of the twentieth century. At the turn-of-the-century, agriculture was the largest industry in Washoe County and Reno was the largest city in Nevada. The ranch was owned by Peter Dalton from 1870 to 1910 and Joseph Ferretto and family from 1912 to the present. Dalton cultivated hay and grain, raised cattle, and conducted a dairy. The Ferretto family, an important Italian family in the area, purchased the property in 1912 and Joseph Ferretto ran the ranch. The ranch produced mostly alfalfa and wheat and fed beef cattle during the winter. This brick Craftsman Bungalow house was built in 1926 for Joseph Ferretto and his family. It is a typical house in northern Nevada during this time.
Fisher, Martin, Photographer
Koval, Ana B., Historian
Boyne, Katharine, Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. VIEW OF FERRETTO HOUSE FACING SOUTH.
2. VIEW OF FERRETTO HOUSE FACING SOUTHWEST.
3. VIEW OF FERRETTO HOUSE FRONT FACADE FACING WEST.
4. VIEW OF FERRETTO HOUSE FACING NORTHEAST.
5. VIEW OF FERRETTO HOUSE FACING NORTHWEST.
6. VIEW OF FERRETTO HOUSE FACING EAST.
7. VIEW OF FERRETTO HOUSE FRONT PORCH LOOKING SOUTH.
8. VIEW OF FERRETTO HOUSE FRONT PORCH LOOKING NORTH.
9. INTERIOR VIEW OF FERRETTO HOUSE LIVING ROOM FACING SOUTH.
10. INTERIOR VIEW OF FERRETTO HOUSE DINING ROOM FACING NORTH.
11. INTERIOR VIEW OF FERRETTO HOUSE SUN PORCH FACING EAST.
12. INTERIOR VIEW OF FERRETTO HOUSE KITCHEN FACING NORTHEAST.
Back to Reno, Nevada