Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home > Nevada > Reno > Peter Dalton Ranch, 9005 South Virginia Street, Reno, Washoe County, NV



See 15 maps of this location


B&W Photos
View Of Ranch From U
HB856183
View Of Ranch From U
View Of Ranch From U
HB856184
View Of Ranch From U
View Of Outbuildings Facing Northwest
HB856185
View Of Outbuildings Facing Northwest
View Of Wash House Facing Southwest.
HB856186
View Of Wash House Facing Southwest.
View Of Bunk House In Foreground And Other Outbuildings In Background Facing Northwest.
HB856187
View Of Bunk House In Foreground And Other Outbuildings In Background Facing Northwest.
View Of Garage Facing West.
HB856188
View Of Garage Facing West.
View Of Outbuildings And Dairy/pump House Facing East.
HB856189
View Of Outbuildings And Dairy/pump House Facing East.


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
9005 South Virginia Street, Reno, NV

Find maps of Reno, NV


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS NV-22
Building/structure dates: 1868 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1893 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1912 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1926 subsequent work
Significance: The Dalton-Ferretto Ranch is eligible to the National Register as a district; the four major buildings and the ten outbuildings located on approximately six acres with fencing, an orchard, and other landscape features form an intact late nineteenth century and early twentieth century ranch complex. This ranch is one of the few extant Truckee Meadows ranches. The ranch is eligible under criterion A. Ranching was the major industry in the Truckee Meadows from shortly after gold was discovered on the Comstock until the middle of the twentieth century. At the turn-of-the-century, agriculture was the largest industry in Washoe County and Reno was the largest city in Nevada. The ranch was owned by Peter Dalton from 1870 to 1910 and Joseph Ferretto and family from 1912 to the present. Dalton cultivated hay and grain, raised cattle, and conducted a dairy. The Ferretto family, an important Italian family in the area, purchased the property in 1912 and Joseph Ferretto ran the ranch. The ranch produced mostly alfalfa and wheat and fed beef cattle during the winter. The buildings extant on the ranch date from 1868 and includes two houses (1893 and 1926), a barn (circa 1868), a dairy and pump house (circa 1860s and 1912) and ten smaller outbuildings.

Subjects
Agriculture
Immigrants
Ranches


Related Names
Ferretto, Joseph
Fisher, Martin, Photographer
Koval, Ana B., Historian
Boyne, Katherine, Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. VIEW OF RANCH FROM U. S. HIGHWAY 395 FACING SOUTH.
2. VIEW OF RANCH FROM U. S. HIGHWAY 395 FACING NORTHWEST.
3. VIEW OF OUTBUILDINGS FACING NORTHWEST. REMNANTS OF SHEEP HERDER'S TRAILER IN FOREGROUND.
4. VIEW OF WASH HOUSE FACING SOUTHWEST.
5. VIEW OF BUNK HOUSE IN FOREGROUND AND OTHER OUTBUILDINGS IN BACKGROUND FACING NORTHWEST.
6. VIEW OF GARAGE FACING WEST.
7. VIEW OF OUTBUILDINGS AND DAIRY/PUMP HOUSE FACING EAST.


Back to Reno, Nevada