Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home > Nevada > Reno > Lemmon-Anderson-Hixson Ranch, 11220 North Virginia Street, Reno, Washoe County, NV



See 15 maps of this location


B&W Photos
BWPhotos 380592
HB858087
BWPhotos 380592
BWPhotos 380593
HB858088
BWPhotos 380593
BWPhotos 380594
HB858089
BWPhotos 380594
BWPhotos 380595
HB858090
BWPhotos 380595
BWPhotos 380596
HB858091
BWPhotos 380596


Item Title
BWPhotos 380596

Location
11220 North Virginia Street, Reno, NV

Find maps of Reno, NV


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS NV-32
Building/structure dates: 1900 initial construction
Significance: The Lemmon-Anderson-Hixson Ranch is significant for its association with the far-flung sheep ranching empire of Henry Anderson and as the only known remnants of the Peavine Ranch, an important early Washoe County sheep ranch. Henry Anderson was a pioneer in development of the Nevada sheep industry and these buildings were directly associated with his ranching operation. This complex, located at 11200 North Virginia Street, includes four buildings - two residences and two utility buildings - with dates of construction that range from about 1900 through about 1915. The complex also includes four modern buildings, constructed in recent decades. It is highly likely that Henry Anderson built the four older buildings as part of his sheep ranch operation at Peavine Ranch; it is conceivable that Fielding Lemmon, the previous owner of the ranch, built one of the residences and one or both of the utility buildings before he sold the ranch in 1898. Henry Anderson was a prominent sheep rancher in Nevada from the 1880s until his death in 1930 and is commonly recognized as one of the pioneers of the sheep industry in the state. Anderson owned land in at least three Nevada counties as well as in Oregon, Nevada, and California. The buildings in this complex are remnants of one part of his operation - the Peavine Ranch, which served as a summer range for part of his flock, probably to provide irrigated pasture for sheep after lambing and during the driest season on the Nevada ranges. The Peavine Ranch was a 5280-acre operation that included a major part of the township in which these buildings are located. The ranch included irrigated pastures and grain and alfalfa field near Silver Lake, as well as at least one other residence, also located near Silver Lake. These buildings are all that remain of Anderson's Peavine Ranch and are significant for that reason.

Subjects
Agriculture
Sheep Industry
Sheep Ranches


Related Names
Lemmon, Fielding
Anderson, Henry
Anderson, Andrew
Hixson, Charles
Hixson, Rosemarie
Hicks, Robert, Photographer


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Reno, Nevada