Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Nevada

>

Reno vicinity

>

Peleg Brown Ranch, 12945 Old Virginia Road, Reno, Washoe County, NV



See 16 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB856774

HB856775

HB856776


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title
Peleg Brown Ranch, 12945 Old Virginia Road, Reno, Washoe County, NV

Location
12945 Old Virginia Road, Reno vicinity, NV

Find maps of Reno, NV


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS NV-25
Building/structure dates: 1858 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1864
Significance: The Brown/Damonte Ranch is eligible to the National Register under criterion A for its association with the development of agriculture and irrigation in the Truckee Meadows in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. In the early years of the Brown Ranch, the Truckee Meadows was a primary source of agricultural products and wood supplied to the Comstock Mining District. The Brown Ranch served as a stage stop on the road between Reno and the Comstock. The Comstock Mining District of Nevada is significant in United States history for the wealth of gold and silver that was mined and milled there and for the personalities and events associated with that wealth. For its significance, the area was designated the Virginia City National Historic Landmark in 1961. The ranching and necessary irrigation established by two generations of the Brown family has been continued by Louis and Louise Damonte and family from 1940 until the present. The Damonte family began ranching in the Truckee Meadows in 1913 and worked and owned several ranches prior to purchasing the Brown Ranch. Louis Damonte purchased additional water rights and maintained the irrigation canals originally developed by Brown. The Brown/Damonte Ranch is eligible to the National Register under Criterion B for its association with Peleg Brown, a locally prominent rancher who is credited as one of the first in the area to grow alfalfa and was instrumental in bringing irrigation to the southern Truckee Meadows. The Brown/Damonte Ranch House is eligible to the National Register under criterion C as a rare example of Greek Revival residential architecture in Nevada.

Subjects
Agriculture
Immigrants
Ranches


Related Names
Brown, Peleg
Damonte, Ben
Damonte, Anna Maria
Brown, Joshua
Damonte, Louis
Fisher, Martin, Photographer
Koval, Ana B., Historian
Boyne, Katharine, Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. OVERVIEW OF RANCH BUILDINGS FACING NORTHEAST.
2. OVERVIEW OF RANCH BUILDINGS FACING EAST.
3. Photocopy of photograph (original print in possession of property owner, Washoe County, Nevada) 1920s hand colored black-and-white photograph. OVERALL VIEW OF RANCH LOOKING WEST.


Back to Reno vicinity, Nevada