Juniata Mill Complex, 22.5 miles Southwest of Hawthorne, between Aurora , Hawthorne, Mineral County, NV
See 18 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
between Aurora, Hawthorne vicinity, NV
Find maps of Hawthorne, NV
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER NV-24
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N670).
Building/structure dates: 1939 initial construction
Significance: The Juniata (Chesco) Mill is a significant example of early 20th century mining in Nevada. The property conveys information regarding the historical and technological changes in mining practices in Nevada. It has significant interpretive potential because of surviving elements. The site was determined to be eligible under criteria A and C of the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) by the USFS and Nevada SHPO. Hardesty's "symbolic" criterion is also met as this site and its remaining equipment have public educational and cultural value. The Juniata (Chesco) Mill is a flotation mill, representing an early 20th century mining technology. The mill operated off and on from 1939 into the 1950s, enduring in a vacillating industrial environment.
Goldfield Consolidated Mines Company
Stickney, Evans, Nell, & Kinsgbury
Chessher, H. B.
Chessher, J. E.
Hicks, Robert Alan, Photographer
Billat, Lorna Beth, Historian
Prince-Mahoney, Jenni, Historian
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. CONTEXTUAL VIEW NORTH ACROSS MILL COMPLEX AREA.
2. CONTEXTUAL VIEW SOUTH ACROSS MILL COMPLEX AREA.
3. CONTEXTUAL VIEW SOUTHWEST ACROSS MILL COMPLEX AREA.
4. CONTEXTUAL VIEW SOUTHEAST ACROSS MILL COMPLEX AREA.
5. CONTEXTUAL VIEW WEST OF (LEFT TO RIGHT) FEATURES 7,6,2,8, AND 1 WITHIN MILL COMPLEX.
6. CONTEXTUAL VIEW NORTH-NORTHWEST OF (LEFT TO RIGHT) FEATURES 1, 5, 4, AND 3 WITHIN MILL COMPLEX.
7. CONTEXTUAL VIEW NORTHEAST TOWARDS FEATURES 6 (LEFT) AND 7 (RIGHT) WITHIN MILL COMPLEX.
8. CONTEXTUAL VIEW NORTHEAST ACROSS SPRING SITE AREA.
9. CONTEXTUAL VIEW SOUTH-SOUTHEAST TOWARDS SPRING SITE. SPRING LEFT CORNER.
10. CONTEXTUAL VIEW WEST OF FEATURE 14 IN FOREGROUND, WITH FEATURES 7, 6, 8, AND 2 IN BACKGROUND.
Back to Hawthorne vicinity, Nevada