Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Nevada

>

Boulder City

>

Bureau of Mines Metallurgical Research Laboratory, Original Building, Date Street north of U.S. Highway 93, Boulder City, Clark County, NV



B&W Photos

HB858927
This Area Is Labeled ?pioneering Research? On Drawing Copy Nv-35-b-5 (submitted With Habs No

HB858928
At Present There Is Open Storage Above The Fluorescent Lights

HB858929

HB858930


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Date Street north of U.S. Highway 93, Boulder City, NV

Find maps of Boulder City, NV


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS NV-35-B
Building/structure dates: 1931 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1936 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1949 subsequent work
Significance: Building 200, as part of the Date Street Complex, was part of the Bureau of Mines Electrometallurgical Research Facility located in Boulder City. As such, it is within the designated Boulder City Historic District. One of seven buildings considered eligible, this one of two that are currently in use and will not be demolished. The building was included as a contributing element in the Boulder City Historic District Nomination (1983). Although it has undergone both exterior and interior alterations, additions, removals, the building's original footprint and roofline, as well as original roof and wall cladding, are unchanged. Furthermore, according to Pfaff the significance of the building is not associated with architecture but with the early development of Boulder City during the 1931 to 1945 period and the emergence of the Bureau of Mines Electrometallurgical Laboratory during that period, and, therefore, is is a contributing element to the District. The significance of the Boulder City Historic District is tied to the Boulder Canyon Project (Hoover Dam) and to the history of American City Planning. This was the first community constructed following the federal New Towns model, as well as the "first fully-developed experience in new town planning as promoted by the Community Planning Movement, a movement which is recognized as the force which most influenced contemporary community planning practices."

Subjects
Power Industry
Garages
Offices


Related Names
Six Companies, Incorporated
Pernick, Andy, Photographer
Conner, Kelly, Photographer


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
Interior, overall view to the east from the west truck entrance to Building 200
Overall view to the west from the east end
West all, showing truck entrance in former darkroom area, worker’s break room at upper left, top of stairs, work bench at far right
North wall, near west end, former sample room area
North wall, central part, showing doors to compressor room at left and plant switch house at right (series 1 of 4)
North wall, central part, showing partial partition wall at left. This area is labeled “Pioneering Research” on drawing copy NV-35-B-5 (submitted with HABS No. NV-35-B) (series 2 of 4)
North wall, near east end, showing exhaust fan and exit (series 3 of 4)
North wall, showing modern switch boxes and in fill panel at the east end (series 4 of 4)
East wall, showing rails of a half-ton aerial gantry attached to roof frame
South interior wall, view to the East from near the center of the building. At present there is open storage above the fluorescent lights. Behind the interior half wall, modern office occupy the area formerly used as a machine shop (See drawing copy NV-35-B-5)
South interior half wall, from near the West end of the building, showing offices on the upper level
South interior half wall at the West end
Main electrical switch banks, plant switch house, looking to the North
Detail of switches on West wall, plant switch house
Gardner-Denver compressor, now occupying the former transformer vault to the West of the plant switch house
Woodwork and trusses, looking East into the office on the upper level near the worker's break room, Southwest corner of the building
Modern offices now occupying the completely renovated "machine shop" area (see drawing copy NV-35-B-5) at the Southeast corner of the building.


Back to Boulder City, Nevada