Fort Union, State Highway No. 161, Watrous, Mora County, NM
Photo Caption Pages
State Highway No. 161, Watrous vicinity, NM
Find maps of Watrous, NM
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS NM-164
Building/structure dates: 1863 initial construction
Significance: Following the conquest of New Mexico by the U.S. in 1846, traffic along the Santa Fe Trail increased significantly. The need to provide travelers with greater protection from the Indians, along with the need for a supply depot for the new southwestern forts, led to the establishment of the first Fort Union by the U.S. Army in 1851. The location chosen was approximately 100 miles northeast of Santa Fe, strategically situated near the junction of the 2 principal branches of the Trail, the Mountain Branch, and the Cimarron Cutoff...
Military Art & Science
Forts & Fortifications
U.S. Department Of The Army
Sibley, Maj Gen. Henry H.
McFerran, Capt. John C.
Farnsworth, Capt. Henry J.
Vazquez, Raul, Field Team
Byrdy, Edward L., Delineator
Harrell, Greg, Delineator
Most, Jennifer L., Delineator
Eggert, Jonathan M., Delineator
Schara, Mark, Delineator
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Aerial view looking northeast, with the ruins of the second Fort Union in the foreground
View looking northeast from State Highway 161, with Fort Union in the distance
View looking northwest across the Parade toward the Officers' Quarters
View looking southwest across the Parade toward the Post of Fort Union Officers' Quarters
View looking north toward the Post of Fort Union Officers' Quarters
View looking north toward the Fort Union Depot Officers' Quarters
View looking northeast across the Parade toward the Company Quarters, Mechanics' Shops and Storehouses
View looking south along the west facades of the Storehouses
View looking east along the pedestrian path between the Commissary Storehouse (HABS No. NM-164-AA) and the Quartermaster Storehouse (HABS No. NM-164-Z)
View looking south across the Parade, with the northern cistern in the foreground
View looking east along the sidewalk from the Officers' Quarters (HABS No. NM-164-Q) to the sundial and the latitude/longitude marker
View of the sundial
View of the south face of the latitude/longitude marker
View of the north face of the latitude/longitude marker
View of the obelisk (altitude marker) at the southwest corner of the Company Quarters (HABS No. NM-164-L)
View looking south of the adobe ruins in the Cavalry Corral
Back to Watrous vicinity, New Mexico