Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home > New Mexico > Gran Quivira > Missions of San Buenaventura & San Isidro, New Mexico Highway 14, Mountainair, Gran Quivira, Socorro County, NM



Data Pages


Drawings


Item Title


Location
Mountainair vicinity, Gran Quivira, NM

Find maps of Gran Quivira, NM


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS NM-147
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-29).
Building/structure dates: 1629 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1659 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1923 subsequent work
Significance: During the early period of Spanish colonization in New Mexico, Franciscan missionaries undertook the conversion of the Salinas Pueblos. Four of the missions established at that time are now included in Salinas National Monument: La Purisima Concepcion at Quarmi, San Gregorio at Abo, and San Buenaventura and San Isidro at Gran Quivira, or Pueblo de las Humanas, as it was called in the seventeenth century. The other Salinas Missions were at Chilili, Taxique, and Tabira. The Church of San Isidro was constructed between 1629 and 1931. The convento of this original mission was situated in a remodelled and extended portion of the house block north of the church. From 1631, San Isidro was administered as a visita of Abo, until 1659 when the new church and convento of San Buenaventura were begun. By 1672, Pueblo de las Humanas was abandoned, and by 1678, so were the other Salinas pueblos and their missions. Gran Quivira, as the site later came to be known, was declared a National Monument in 1906. Some of the mission structures were initially cleared and stabilized in 1923, and further work was done in succeeding decades.

Subjects
Indians Of North America
Ruins
Stone Buildings


Related Names
Rieder, Morgan, Delineator
Hernandez, Daniel A., Delineator
Pike, Jean L., Delineator


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Gran Quivira, New Mexico