Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

New Mexico

>

Albuquerque

>

St. Anthony's Orphanage, 1500 Indian School Road, Northwest, Albuquerque, Bernalillo County, NM



B&W Photos

HB850616

HB850617

HB850618

HB850619

HB850620

HB850621

HB850622


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title
St. Anthony's Orphanage, 1500 Indian School Road, Northwest, Albuquerque, Bernalillo County, NM

Location
Northwest, Albuquerque, NM

Find maps of Albuquerque, NM


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS NM-149
Building/structure dates: 1913 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1920 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1931 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1963 demolished
Building/structure dates: 1989 demolished
Significance: The Chapel, the Classroom-Dormitory Building and the Auditorium of St. Anthony's Orphanage stand as rare institutional examples of Mission Style architecture in New Mexico. They constitute a three building historic complex. They are even more significant in terms of their social, humanitarian and educational use. Over 5,000 children were cared for and educated in these buildings. Once one of the most lush and beautiful facilities in Albuquerque, it served as a focus of charitable and humanitarian spirit for over fifty years.

Subjects
Farming
Education
Religious Orders


Related Names
LaDriere, Joseph L.
Sister Genero
Sister Evarista
Sisters Of St. Francis
U.S. Department Of Labor
Albuquerque Job Corps Center
Ruddy, Dick, Photographer
Hicks, Gregory T., Historian
Evenson, Rolf M., Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Photographic copy of a slide of a postcard (ca 1939). Slide in possession of Mary P. Davis, Preservation Planning, Redevelopment Division, City of Albuquerque, New Mexico. EAST-NORTHEAST VIEW OF ENTRANCE GATE AND THE ORIGINAL ORPHANAGE BUILDING, BETWEEN THE CLASSROOM DORMITORY ADDITION (ON FAR SIDE) AND THE CHAPEL ADDITION (ON THE NEAR SIDE).
2. Photographic copy of original construction drawings, dated 30 September 1930, located at the John Gaw Meem Archive of Southwestern Architecture, Special Collections, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico. FIRST FLOOR PLAN.
3. Ibid., SECOND FLOOR PLAN
4. Ibid., ROOF PLAN AND ORNAMENTAL PLASTER DETAILS
5. Ibid., NORTH, EAST, AND SOUTH ELEVATIONS
6. Ibid., WEST ELEVATION AND BUILDING SECTIONS
7. Ibid., CABINET DETAILS


Back to Albuquerque, New Mexico