Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

New Mexico

>

Albuquerque

>

San Felipe de Neri Church, Old Town Plaza, Northwest, Albuquerque, Bernalillo County, NM



Data Pages


Drawings


Supplemental Material


Item Title


Location
Northwest, Albuquerque, NM

Find maps of Albuquerque, NM


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS NM-176
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N135).
Building/structure dates: 1706 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1793 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1866 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1871 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1877 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1891 subsequent work
0.1993
Significance: In 1993, San Felipe de Neri Church celebrates the 200th anniversary of its rebuilding and continuous use. The structure listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is notable for its surviving and easily interpreted record of architectural and social evolution spanning more than two and a half centuries. The church was built in 1706, the year of the founding of Albuquerque as noted in the certificate issued by Governor Cuervo y Valdes Franciscan Fray, Francisco Atanasio Dominguez. described the original building in his report of 1776. Allowed to fall into disrepair, the church was rebuilt in 1793. Nineteenth century changes reflect the influence of a change in church administration following the establishment of the Archdiocese of Santa Fe under Archbishop Lamy. Through the centuries the church has been in use by a population which has adapted the building to new conditions and new preferences. Each stratum of construction provides as fine an example of its period as may be found in New Mexico today. The massive adobe walls and wood beams, "vigas," date from the 18th century. Evidence of the clerestory which threw light on the altar remains in the attic. The mid to late 19th century bell towers illustrate the development of New Mexican folk art. On the interior, a "skin" of late nineteenth century fabrication is laid over the old interior. A wood floor replaced the traditional hand-packed earth; walls are covered with tongue and groove wainscoting carried to shoulder height; a stamped metal ceiling covers the "vigas" which were originally exposed. The altar and confessionals contain some of the state's finest existing examples of New Mexican interpretations of Greek Revival and Victorian cabinet work and decorations. The great architectural value of the complex derives from the unique amalgamation of work from each era. All of New Mexico's Spanish and post-Spanish past is contained and synthesized in San Felipe de Neri. The accommodation of New Mexico's multi-cultural history is illustrated in the building today and will continue to evolve as new generations continue to use and adapt the architecture to changing social needs.

Subjects
Religious Services
Adobe Buildings
Catholic Churches


Related Names
Cuervo Y Valdes
Dominguez, Fr. Francisco Atanasio
Cofano, Michael
Anderson, Scott, Field Team
Sena, Al, Field Team
Cummins, Steve, Field Team
Hyde, A. Leicester, Field Team
Martinez, Ralph, Delineator
Finale, Alex, Delineator
Arellano, Wilbert, Delineator
Aranda, Antonio, Delineator
Skrypka, Anthony, Delineator


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Albuquerque, New Mexico