Delaware & Raritan Canal, Lock 6A, Between Greenwood & Hamilton Avenues, Trenton, Mercer County, NJ
Photo Caption Pages
Between Greenwood & Hamilton Avenues, Trenton, NJ
Find maps of Trenton, NJ
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER NJ-62
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N756).
Building/structure dates: 1929 initial construction
Significance: Lock 6A is a representative example of canal lock design and construction of its time. It was the last lock to be constructed on the Delaware and Raritan Canal, which was first placed in operation in 1834. The impetus for construction of Lock 6A was the electrification of the Pennsylvania Railroad's main line, over which a portion of the canal was carried by means of an aqueduct. In order for the electrical wiring, the existing aqueduct was raised; Lock 6A was therefore built to accommodate the difference between the level of the raised aqueduct and that of the canal downstream.
Locks (hydraulic Facilities)
Morin, Edward M., Field Team
Bowie, John R., Field Team
Masso, Anthony, Photographer
Bowers, Martha H., Historian
Wuebber, Ingrid, Historian
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
Back to Trenton, New Jersey