Delaware & Raritan Canal, Lock 4, .2 mile south of Lalor Street, Trenton, Mercer County, NJ
See 43 maps of this location
.2 mile south of Lalor Street, Trenton, NJ
Find maps of Trenton, NJ
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER NJ-129
Building/structure dates: 1853 initial construction
Significance: The Canal extended 43 miles between Bordenton, NJ (along the Delaware River) and New Brunswick, NJ (along the Raritan River) and began operation in 1834. From its beginning, it was successful, with much of its revenue derived from coal shipments from Pennsylvania's anthracite fields to the New York Bay Area. Its success also helped stimulate the industrial growth of Trenton and New Brunswick. Between 1849-53, several navigational improvement were made to the locks on the canal...
Locks (hydraulic Facilities)
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
Back to Trenton, New Jersey