Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

New Jersey

>

South Toms River

>

Town of South Toms River, Garden State Parkway at County Road 530, South Toms River, Ocean County, NJ



See 25 maps of this location


Item Title
Town of South Toms River, Garden State Parkway at County Road 530, South Toms River, Ocean County, NJ

Location
Garden State Parkway at County Road 530, South Toms River, NJ

Find maps of South Toms River, NJ


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS NJ-1017
Building/structure dates: 1880
Part of building/structure is in Pine Beach, Ocean County, NJ.
Significance: Though the area south of Toms River was open for development in 1881 when the Philadelphia and Long Branch met the New York and Long Branch Railroad, extensive urban development began with 20th century land speculation. In the early 20th century, South Toms River was the site of birdville, a bird-house factory, which drew visitors from around the world. The area is also significant as home to the Admiral Farragut Academy, the first American naval preparatory school. Today, South Toms River is basically a suburb of Toms River to the north. The surrounding towns of Ocean Gate, Pine Beach, and Beachwood are often perceived as part of the single region of South Toms River, all dependent on the municipal and commercial services of the nearby county seat.

Subjects
Cities & Towns


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to South Toms River, New Jersey