Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

New Jersey

>

Phillipsburg vicinity

>

Morris Canal, Delaware River Portal, Phillipsburg, Warren County, NJ



B&W Photos

HB791679

HB791680

HB791681

HB791682

HB791683

HB791684

HB791685


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Delaware River Portal, Phillipsburg vicinity, NJ

Find maps of Phillipsburg, NJ


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER NJ-29-A
Building/structure dates: 1831 initial construction
Significance: The Delaware River Portal is the western terminus of the Morris Canal. The canal is one of the few amphibious waterways in America. The river portal was the starting point for coal laden barges that made their way eastward opening up much of northern New Jersey for expansion industrialization. Since the eastern end of the canal has long been gone, the Delaware River portal is the only terminus of the canal still salvageable.

Subjects
Civil Engineering
Portals
Transportation Engineering


Related Names
Morris Canal & Banking Company


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Entrance to canal from Delaware River.
2. Exterior of West Portal from Delaware River.
3. West Portal from east.
4. West Portal from canal to Delaware River.
5. Detail of portcollis Cavity.
6. Detail of stone work of west portal.
7. CANAL WALL AT THE DELAWARE RIVER PORTAL. STONE ARCH MARKING ENTRANCE TO THE DELAWARE RIVER IS VISIBLE AT EXTREME LEFT.


Back to Phillipsburg vicinity, New Jersey