Todd & Rafferty Machine Company, Van Houten Street & McGee Alley, Paterson, Passaic County, NJ
Photo Caption Pages
Van Houten Street & McGee Alley, Paterson, NJ
Find maps of Paterson, NJ
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER NJ-5
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-9).
Significance: In its versatility and adaptability the Todd Mill is representative of many of the mill buildings in the Historic District of Paterson. Probably designed as a woolen mill, the original structure operated for many years as a cotton mill before undergoing extensive renovation and being converted to the manufacture of machinery. After being used as a silk mill during the early 1900s, the building was occupied by a number of small, textile products businesses, and has served most recently as a warehouse. While structures have existed on the site of the Todd Mill since before 1815, the present building dates from the 1870s when an earlier complex was completely reconstructed in brick. Its greatest prosperity occurred during the second half of the nineteenth century when it was known throughout the nation and the world as a producer of textile machinery, stationary and portable steam engines, and boilers.
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. AERIAL VIEW LOOKING NORTH 2. [PARTIAL REAR ELEVATION] Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HAER-GS10-S-1974-01L. 3. [PARTIAL REAR ELEVATION] Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HAER-GS10-S-1974-02R.
4. INTERIOR MASONRY AND CEILING Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HAER-GS10-S-1974-03R.
5. INTERIOR MASONRY AND CEILING Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HAER-GS10-S-1974-04L.
6. INTERIOR MASONRY Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HAER-GS10-S-1974-05L.
7. INTERIOR WALL Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HAER-GS10-S-1974-06R.
Back to Paterson, New Jersey