S. U. M. Hydroelectric Plant, McBride Avenue, Paterson, Passaic County, NJ
See 44 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
McBride Avenue, Paterson, NJ
Find maps of Paterson, NJ
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER NJ-16
Building/structure dates: 1914 initial construction
Significance: The S.U.M. Hydroelectric Plant was constructed in 1912-1914 to meet the electrical power needs of the mill and factory owners and tenants in the Paterson area. It superceded the power canal system (HAER No. NJ-2), and is situated on a narrow neck of land on a bend in the Passaic River. The plant operated under a normal head of sixty-seven feet and incorporated four S. Morgan Smith horizontal shaft turbines. These were connected to 2400-volt, sixty-cycle generators of either 1720 hp. or of 1390 hp.
Cook, John H.
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. AERIAL VIEW LOOKING NORTHWEST WITH GREAT FALLS OF THE PASSAIC RIVER AND HYDROELECTRIC PLANT DAM
2. AERIAL VIEW LOOKING WEST NORTHWEST WITH GREAT FALLS OF THE PASSAIC RIVER
3. AERIAL VIEW LOOKING NORTHWEST
4. SOUTH AND EAST ELEVATIONS
5. INTERIOR VIEW OF PENSTOCKS, TURBINES, AND GENERATORS
6. SOUTH ELEVATION: DETAIL OF ENTRANCE
Back to Paterson, New Jersey